First steroid shot scheduled for tomorrow

Posted , 9 users are following.

And I’m scared and wary. Heard so many mixed reviews - some say it’s fantastic and they got instant and extended relief and other say it didn’t help at all!  Even worse is the chance it could make my pain increase! I don’t think I can cope with that. 

Those who’ve had the shot, what’s been your experience? 

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

I had a steroid injection.

It did absolutely nothing for me.

More relief from an ice pack

• Posted

Helped quite a bit for me. Was in a lot of pain while doing pt and exercises then after the shot it made all that bearable. Pain never was as bad again after that.
  • Posted

I have had two steroid injections, they weren't instant relief but after a day the pain felt better but sadly the effects only lasted up to maybe 2 weeks for me.  I didn't want to keep getting them, so the doctor prescribed Naproxen which I took regularly for maybe 6 months.  I would say that took the edge off the pain although It was still painful.  I have since learned to live with the pain, coming up for 4 years this fall.

• Posted

Hi Karen , 

I have had two , it did not work for a week or two but then it did start to reduce my pain, it did not pain away totally, but I was relieved with any reduction in pain at that stage. 

I thought the procedure would hurt, but do not worry it was not bad at all smile .x

• Posted

Complete waste of time. Go straight to hydrodilatation or surgery. 
  • Posted

I had one and it worked 'for one day only' lol, then the pain came back. But everyone is different so good luck and hope it offers you some relief. 

• Posted

Well, I'm happy to report the actual shot wasn't nearly as bad as I imagined it would be. I was shaking like a leaf, anticipating terrible pain in the most tender & already painful part of my body!  Like really, who would look forward to that?  

Turned out my fears were misplaced - it did hurt, but nothing worse than a regular shot. 

I did have a better night's sleep and the pain has been dulled quite a bit. Nothing too wonderful or amazing (no miracle here), but at least it's tolerable at the moment. I hope it lasts... 

• Posted

Karen, Glad to hear the shot is giving you at least some relief.  I had some positive results as well with my first shot but also had jittery side effects so even though it worked for a few weeks I wasn't allowed a second. Are you going to physical therapy and stretching? Do these and other activities also seem more tolerable since you received the shot?

• Posted

Hi Ive had several and it does work for me, I can even sleep on that shoulder that night after the injection.

Good luck.

• Posted

Glad to hear it went okay! My first experience did not, because it was in the family doc's office, with only his best guess at where to aim. And, by then my shoulder was TOO frozen, so there was really no place for the medicine to go even if he got it in the exact place. There is no point in getting cortisone in a joint that is already frozen/adhered. (Wait for it to start thawing, or catch it before it's that frozen.)

Since then, I've had several cortisone shots in each shoulder, under fluroscopy - it's kind of neat to watch - so the needle goes exactly into the joint where it should. And I got it as my shoulder was thawing, so it improved my range along with gentle physio, only to the point of pain, never past.  In my second shoulder, I get guided cortisone as soon as I feel zingers, and so far it has not frozen; I don't expect it to, as I can go longer and longer between shots. 

For next time, or for others reading this, I learned that they ask you what your pain/ache level is before getting the shot. Then they put in the freezing & then the cortisone through the same needle. They ask you again, which I always thought was weird, because they obviously knew it was frozen, so I felt zero! He explained that that was good - it meant the meds had gone to the right place in the joint. That made sense! 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.