First symptoms of a divericulitis flare up for you? Action taken?

Posted , 9 users are following.

What are your first symptoms?  How does it feel and where do you feel it?  What are the first things you do when you start to feel those symptoms and how long do you do them for?  Are the measures you take to avoid the flare up becoming worse always effective?

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

I get pain on my left lower torso, and diarrhea.  Sometimes a fever develops which will mean it will be a very bad flare up that will likely need antibiotics. In that situation, I become very weak and exhausted.

I immediately drink a lot of water and bone broth and stay on that for at least a day or two. If fever doesn't subside quickly, I head to the doctor for very strong antibiotics.

I also use a heating pad for the pain, take Ibuprofen, and acidophilus (one that has billions in them).

• Posted

First symptoms for me are pain very low down in abdomen and not necessarily on the left side. Loss of appetite pain when straining down on the toilet. Constipation and mucus and blood. I don’t always have a fever. I immediately start a very low fibre diet,drink more water and take paracetamol for the pain. Also a hot water bottle on the lower tummy helps. If it seems to be getting worse I phone the Dr for antibiotics. Hope this helps.
  • Posted

Gosh it's very difficult to answer that as it's different every time for me. I also was diagnosed with Crohn's in 2015 so any tenderness or abdominal pain could be either or both! I think the key factor for me is if a fever develops as this almost always indicates an infection somewhere and a need to get a GP appointment. Incidentally I have been told to take only paracetamol or in extreme pain possibly cocodamol but never ibuprofen as this is contraindicated for bowel conditions.

• Posted

I get pain in the bottom left hand side in my bowel.  Has soon as that happens I go on a fluid only diet for 24 hours then chicken soup I wait until the pain goes then I introduce low fiber food   It's take a while for me to get back into my routine of fybergel mabevarine and probiotic. But everyone is different. I hope this helps 

• Posted

I get left side lower pain. General not feeling well. I have been dealing with this for more than twenty years.

Start with heating pad and liquid diet and a few pretzels or crackers. Ribbon like stool and crampy feeling.  If I don’t feel better in a day or more I’m off to primary care physician. I know I need antibiotics.  No fiber for several weeks.

• Posted

These replies will really help anyone with DD.

For me I start to feel a dull but strong pain or pull when I am urinating... it almost feels like a kidney infection coming on. 

I have heard I might be able to avoid taking antibiotics if I go on the 48 hour liquid diet and rest so that my diverticula can heal. 

Until now I have been jumping on the antibiotics but I had such a severe reaction to them this last time and I really never had any horrible experience with the pains this last bout so I wonder if I should have not had the meds. 

Trying different ways of management, as we all do.   smile

• Posted

My last bout my attack  was so scary and sharp pain that I immediately knew it was bad. Went to ER AND ADMITTED for 3 days on IV antibiotics.

When I first started with flare ups a heating pad and ibrofrofen worked but you’ll know the difference. Thank god no pus or blood. It took me 3 months before I felt normal.  I believe if you immediately go to liquid and rest the bowel you should start feeling better in a day. If not go to doctor.  Not everyone gets severe symptoms but you just know something isn’t right.  Being constipated is something you should avoid. I think mine all started because of continuous straining while constipated.  Use Metamucil or Miralax to stay open.

• Posted

I just realized that I have been having attacks for awhile now, but this was the first time I went to the ER. I had a colonoscopy a while ago for continuous IBS and diverticulosis showed up on the test result too. I didn't think much of it, because I just wanted  to find out what was causing the IBS. My past episodes unknown to me to be a flare started with constipation and then hemorrhoids flared up, so I took prescription miralax and that gave me diarrhea and lower left pain. I went to all liquid diet and it cleared up. 

So my first known flare is ... IBS flare (constipation/diarrhea),  hemorrhoid flare, took miralax, thick ribbon stools, the worst lower left abdomen pain I have ever had. All liquid diet didn't work this time and the pain was a steady sharp pain that hurt so bad it was difficult to walk. Went to the ER thinking the pain was my left ovary and told them that. The doctor on call immediately said it sounds like diverticulitis. Ct scan showed MILD diverticulitis. The pain sure does not feel mild. I'm on metroNIDAZOLE 1000 mg a day and ciprofloxacin HCl 1500 mg a day for 10 days. And I requested fluconazole for the yeast infection I usually get after any amount of antibiotics.

• Posted

Abdominal pain and a feverish feeling, then diarrhoea.  I immediately go on a liquid diet.  I might also stop taking my arthritis meds, if the pain is really bad!
  • Posted

I had a pain in my right side, not left, felt a bit unwell. Went to go. He gave me keflex, which was wrong I think, it did nothing. Got very constipated, took a laxative, and was in agony. Went to doc, couldn't pass wind or use my bowel. Was admitted to hospital same day. Was in for 7 days . Taken me 8 weeks to feel better and still having odd symptom, feeling sick after bm in morning. I'm terrified I'll get it again, so I'm not really answering your question, but I think I would know from the pain, although bynthatntime I was really ill. I think it wasn't spotted early enough, and I wasn't given correct medications. 

• Posted

You are correct. Getting the right meds are imperative.

Try to take a stool softener or Miralax. Never take a laxative when you have pain.  You could have died.

Diverticulitis is nothing to fool with. Get checked by Gastro doctor. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.