First THR

Posted , 10 users are following.

I am waiting to see the consultant for a THR just not sure what to expect in the coming weeks / months

not sure if i am anxious or excited

what should I expect on the day of the surgery, I have Sleep Apena so I will be awake which does not bother me

What is better a local anaesthetic or epidural not sure because only had one op for tonsils about 45 years ago , Also is the post op pain severe ?

Just looking for some pointers as I have had this hip problem for over 12 years

Thanks in Advance

0 likes, 28 replies

28 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Thanks for the info

I am still waiting for the consultant to see me but that could take long enough

every day is getting harder so the waiting is a nightmare

• Posted

i had a late appointment, and spent about 30 mins waiting in a cubicle before being wheeled down for the operation at 5.30 pm. i had the spinal tap and it was absolutely fine. When I came round I was given tea and a sandwhich. i did have severe pain on the second day after being encouraged to sit on a bedside chair, but they gave me a stronger pain killer, tremadol, and this worked wonders. i was also given 2 paracetamal and one codeine every four hours and also a liquid laxative. i found that if I kept up with the painkillers when I went home, pain wasn't a problem. my real difficulty was in lifting my operated leg onto and off the bed and a leg lifter ( like a dog collar) was given to me by the community health team, and this made a huge difference. It did take several weeks before I could sit in a chair for longer than 30 minutes without discomfort. Walking with crutches and climbing stairs were never a problem. Good luck.

• Posted

Hi Billy, think I may have been lucky in Derbyshire. GP appointment late June, two days later xray, doc called with results two weeks later, consultant appointment 20th Aug, op date 28th Sept. Admit was fast tracked to private because of my age (52) fantastic surgeon, John Rowles, but admit I have not been without some issues, I blame the bloomin weather!! Good luck

Helen

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.