First time CIC tonight any advice? Tips?

Posted , 13 users are following.

hi everyone thanks to the gentleman on this board I obtained a supply of cic without my doctor's note. I haven't been trained how to use it though and I'm a little nervous. anyone have some advice tips etc? I watch the video from the manufacturer and explained all the sterile technique issues.

thanks.

0 likes, 38 replies

38 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Thanks again and one more question. How do I know what size to get? Do i buy a couple in each of several sizes? 8? 10? 12? 16? Is bigger number smaller or bigger?

Thanks.

• Posted

14 is right for most people. 12s go in more easily but they bend. Try the 14, if it seems to big, try the 12. Ideally, the smallest number that doesn't bend is the sweet spot. Very few men like 16s and I don't think they make them smaller than 12.

• Posted

Motto,

As you may have figured out by now, we're all different. I self-cathed for several months before (and a month after) my Rezum procedure, and I used the catheters that my urologist prescribed for me. They were Coloplast Speedicath FR16 coude. The '16' indicates that it's larger than a '14', etc. which is larger than a '12' etc.

I had a couple of drops of blood the second time that I self-cathed, but other than that one time, I never had a problem using them. I really liked the Speedicaths because they were so easy to use. However, I'd recommend a 14 instead of the 16. The coude tip was a good fit for me because of the enlarged median lobe of the my prostate. But again, you can see by the responses that you've received so far that, if you ask 10 guys, you will get at least 9 different answers!

Best of luck to you. Let us know how it goes. And don't get discouraged if it seems difficult at first. It is kind of scary but you'll catch on quickly.

• Posted

Bigger number equals bigger diameter. It is my understanding that 12FR and down is more a woman's size. I use 18FR in red rubber. My uro said the larger size empties the bladder faster. I don't usually have any problem inserting them. Sometimes they meet some resistance going in, and I just take things slower. I ordered samples of 14FR and 16FR sizes to try. I found 14FR red rubber is too flexible for me. I also use some soft plastic Coloplast non-lubricated catheters in size 16FR (they make a soft and a regular - different model numbers). They are almost as flexible as the red rubber. Being smooth plastic, they do glide in easier than the red rubber.

I tell people to try different catheters and lubes until you find which ones work best for you. I'm going to try some of the non-lubricated Cure catheters that Hank recommends. I have tried the Cure pre-lubricated (not hydrophilic) ones. The lube is a little thicker than what I usually use, and they are not as flexible as the soft Coloplast.

• Posted

Are there any soft tipped ones that are pre-lubicated?

• Posted

I did it for the first time this morning under instructions from the urology nurse. It was a simple and quick process and quite painless. I did feel a little pressure as it passed through the prostrate but nothing serious. They sent me home with a box of Fr 14 catheters, tubes of lube, and a measuring urinal.

One thing to keep in mind is that there are many different types and sizes of catheters. I hope you made the right choice regarding the catheters you obtained. An experienced nurse familiar with your particular condition would be an excellent source of information on diameter size, pre-lubed or not, cloude tip or not, disposable or multi use etc.

Good luck and let us know how it works out for you.

• Posted

Congratulations, James. Well done!

Warm regards, alan86734.

• Posted

Thank you Alan. I haven't had to CIC yet, but it is only the second day sans the Foley. I seem to be peeing ok but am only voiding 100 - 125 cc into the plastic urinal usually about every 45 minutes to an hour. I doubt if I am emptying my bladder but I do not feel uncomfortable. I don't seem to have much control when the urge comes and I have to be near a toilet to respond quickly. I am drinking about 10 oz of fluids per hour and wonder if that might be too much?

Thanks for your response.

• Posted

James, it does sound like a lot of fluid to take in.

For the urgency, you might try a couple of ibuprofen. I had some urgency for a week or so after my Rezum, and the ibuprofen really helped me.

• Posted

Success. I ordered some more but the soft ones. Then I realized I didn't have lube for them and was nervous about infection from lubing them.

So I said the heck with it and went back to the straight tip Coloplasts because they are pre-lubricated. I tried an 8 and it was too small. I moved up to the 10 and it stopped. My wife said you need to push it in farther and I did and it worked great. A lot came out. My bladder was fully empty for the first time in God knows how many years. A little bit of pink came out with the cath but not much blood.

It didn't really feel bad doing it. A little pinching maybe but not as uncomfortable as I thought. Between the lube and how thin the 10 was, it wasn't bad at all. Made me wonder why I was so chicken about it for so long.

And I slept for 6 straight hours also for the first time in years. I felt great today.

I've ordered a box of straight tip 10 Coloplasts and a few of the coude tip.

I can't thank everyone here enough. Jimjames and the rest. And I forgot who who told me I could just order them without a doctor's note. Thanks. You guys are the best. You've improved my life. If any of you come to Chicago, I want to buy you an adult beverage.

• Posted

Also wanted to mention that 10 FR is pretty small for a male. Determining catheter size is something that your uro or a nurse could recommend. I use 16 and 18 FR.

• Posted

You can use any water based jell to lube them, i.e., KY Jelly. I have been self lubing catheters for a year and a half, without infection (knock on wood). After starting, I switched to single use packets of lube. Remember, it is "clean" intermittent catheterization, not sterile. My uro puts the lube on the inside of the wrapper and runs the catheter through it. That's how I did it initially, but now, I am able to apply lube directly from the packet. I lube the first 6 - 8 inches. I wash my hands with antiseptic soap before each time, and use baby wipes to wipe my penis. You can also use antiseptic wipes or other antiseptic controls. I also avoid touching as much of the catheter as I can. With the more flexible ones, it is not possible to hold it only by the funnel end. You mentioned meeting resistance toward the bladder. Sometimes I find when I get to that point that pushing on the perineum helps a stiffer catheter go in easier. You need to be careful with coude catheters. They only go in one way. I would stick with the straight tips if you don't have insertion problems.

• Posted

Thanks. What do you mean, they only go in one way?

• Posted

There is an index mark on the funnel. It has to be up when you insert a coude catheter. Search online for instructions.

• Posted

oh oh I see. so the rounded part has to be like pointing up

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.