First time cipro for UTI .

Posted , 6 users are following.

My wife has been prescribed Cipro often for recurring UTI with no problems so when I was prescribed for it, at my request, I knew that there was an FDA warning but didn't think I had to worry about it. Was I wrong!!!

I'm a senior, senior who has degenerative spinal symptoms, and I already walked like Herman Munster, but when I took four pills on that prescription program, It put me in a walker. Over the next three days I graduated to using a cane . I would estimate cipro has reduced my mobility about 50 percent, or more. Leg and hip joint pain. (leg gives out) That looks like it will be permanent, and hopefully it won't get worse. If I get to rate Cipro I can only say, do yourself a great favor and don't use it.

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Good morning,

You mention you are a senior but don't say how old, there is supposed to be an upper age limit for taking these. You do not say where you are, if in UK you might want to fill in a Yellow Card to get your issues with Cipro logged.

• Posted

Cipro and Fluoroquinolones are no respecter of age or youth they can harm anyone. Almost no need now for a yellow card report as the EMA (European Medicines Authority ) has put out updated warning to pharmacists and doctors to restrict their use for UTI’s, prostatitis and other conditions. The MHRA are updating the patient leaflets with the drugs.

• Posted

There's still a need for Yellow Cards, Derek, the EMA's warning managed to cook up a figure of only 286 people seriously affected across the whole of the EU in 21 years! The MHRA figures up to 31st December 2018 (covering a slightly longer period) showed 6,000 reports of serious ADRs with 161 deaths in the UK. I have no idea what search filters the EMA used but they must have been very defining and descriptive!

• Posted

Thank you for that information. I guess it is a bit late for me to Yellow Card it after so long has gone bye.

• Posted

Hi Oliver,

You've just learned about Cipro the hard way - which is how most people find out about it despite all the recent FDA and EMA (European) warnings.

I'm going to guess you're in the USA as you say 'senior' and 'cane'! Your wife has been very lucky to have used Cipro often without any problems. I'm going to take the liberty of suggesting she never takes it again (or any other fluoroquinolone e.g. Levaquin/Levofloxacin or Avelox/Moxifloxacin) as the side effects are cumulative with some people being more susceptible than others - as you just found out! Some people have taken more than 20 courses with no apparent problems then suddenly the next pill sets off a 'time bomb'. With others, their very first course, or even pill, can do it.

If you look at the fluoroquinolone antibiotic discussions on this site you can read about the types of devastating symptoms that can occur with some people. There are also suggestions for how to alleviate the pains etc. and other advice such as NOT to take NSAIDs for the pain such as Ibuprofen, or any corticosteroids (these are contraindicated on the package leaflet) because they can exacerbate the symptoms. I hope your present new problems won't be permanent but one can never tell with fluoroquinolone toxicity. Many have found supplements such as anti-oxidants are very helpful (as FQs cause oxidative stress) plus supplements of magnesium and iron might help.

Because of your existing problems your doctor should have done everything he could to explain the dangers and to prescribe another, safer antibiotic. He should have known that being a senior with mobility problems already (and possibly taking other drugs such as statins maybe??) Cipro was definitely not a good option for you whether you requested it or not (the patient doesn't always know best!).

Thanks very much for posting your warning and I sincerely hope others take heed of it and don't find out the hard way. Please do send in a report to the agency for whichever country you are in.

• Posted

I phrased the post that way to make it clear that it was by my request. I had taken amoxicillin that did NOT resolve the problem.I dislike taking any medication but with advanced age (90) It's certain I will have additions to the three I now take. Your reply was excellent in content. I had posted only on the odd chance that it might keep someone else from taking such a bad risk. I'm a firm believer of the final control of my health care being mine, and not passed off to the medical establishment, 'such as it is'.

• Posted

Wow! At 90 I think you must be an excellent example of what taking control of your own health can achieve as the doctors with their pharmaceutical aresenals seem determined to keep everyone hooked on mischief-making drugs for as long as possible. I once read every baby born rings up on the cash registers at the Big Pharma companies! They seem to want to get them on antidepressants as soon as possible and then take it from there with 'stomach protectors', statins, steroids benzos and then sleeping pills. I read the average adult in the developed countries adds another regular drug with every ten years of age so that must certainly keep the money rolling in! (I should be on at least 4 by now but I just take a few vitamins and seem to be ok!)

Well done to you and I hope this Cipro damage you've sustained doesn't put too much of a damper on the many (hopefully!) years you have left. Please do pass on my (your) warning to your good lady wife. Stay strong!

• Posted

I always tell people that the patient is the last line of defence. I have several times found that medications prescribed clash and either should not be taken together or the dosage adjusted.

I was taking Warfarin and a registrar prescribed Amiodarone that that given me side effects when prescribed previously while waiting for a cardioversion. The next week my INR had gone up to 3.9 from 2.5. The practice nurse did not understand it nor the doctor she consulted. The following week the same readings. I did some online research and found that if a patient is taking warfarin when prescribed Amiodarone the dosage should be halved. I printed it out and spoke to the pharmacy who had dispensed the drugs. She said I thought everyone knew that and they would have adjusted the dosage. I gave the print out to my doctor who looked at his drugs manual and said that there was no clear warning.

A woman in England died recentl several years after this dispensing error was highlighted.

NHS England have asked the LPC to communicate with community pharmacies with regard to a series of dispensing errors reported.

Pharmacies are asked to ensure extra care when dispensing / checking Amlodipine and Amitriptyline, which seem to be the pattern of errors.

Below are 3 incidents which highlight some of the issues.

Incident 1: a prescription for Amitriptyline was dispensed as Amlodipine (10mg tablets 100)

Incident 2: Amlodipine 10mg on label 5mg dispensed

Incident 3: Label for 10mg Amlodipine put in a box of Amitriptyline

Please ensure your teams are aware of this increase in errors between Amlodipine and Amitrptyline to help reduce errors

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.