First time Colonoscopy

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi yesterday I had my first colonoscopy & thought I'd share my experience to put people's mind at rest if you're waiting to have yours done.

I had to take Moviprep which looking online found all sorts of horror stories, for me it really wasn't that bad, my advice is to make it & then chill it, it actually tasted ok when I did that, it took me about an hour to drink it and a further hour & a half for it to start working, it does make you go to the loo a lot I was still going way after 2hrs it states 1-2hrs of watery diarreah, but no cramping pains of any sort. The second dose that I had to take the morning of the day of the colonoscopy for me was easier as I didn't eat much the day before so all the cleaning out was done mostly on the first dose what did come out was yellow watery bile like stuff that they told me was normal.

So the Colonoscopy itself I was really nervous but it was really straight forward they gave me sedation and I watched my bowls on a tv screen that was actually quite interesting until I fell asleep there was a bit of discomfort when they're  poking about but nothing bad at all, I felt very chilled out came around in my room had some tea & toast then after about 40 mins was allowed home and that's were I am now. I feel a bit tired but think that's the aftermath of it all they found nothing to worry about you find out straight away & they gave me a written copy of the findings, so that's it really I got myself really worked up about it beforehand but in my experience it wasn't that bad at all. Hope this helps anyone going through the same thing.

1 like, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Great to hear your results were well :-)
  • Posted

Great to hear your results were well :-)
  • Posted

Sorry hadn't finished that message it's good to know your experience helps to know it is not as bad as people tell me

• Posted

Hi Tom well my experience of it was exactly what i wrote, sure parts of it are a little unpleasent but nothing like some of the stuff i'd seen online. Hope all goes well for you.

• Posted

Thank you I hope so too I'm not scared of the colonscopy but what it might find but was good to hear your conversation it all helps at the end of the day I've currently got a conversation going I'm hoping I can get some more advice on what to do I'm in a bit of a bad situation I feel and I have no one really to talk to about it anymore my conversations at home are stressing my wife out as I can understand she doesn't know how to help and is helpless so I can see why I must try find other means so to talk it out as why I have joined this forum if you have any thing you can put any insight into I would greatly appreciate it its under title of I urgently need a colonscopy

• Posted

Thanks for this information.

Unfortunately I'm taking something called klean prep.

I seem to be having a hard time with drinking it with water or lemonade or anything like clear broth.

I started at 2 o'clock it is now 6:30 I have one and a half sachet or one and a half litres left to drink I havent experience any needing to go to the toilet yet but I'm very bloated and in some discomfort I'm a little worried I'm not going to be cleared out in time for tomorrow morning my appointment is at 10:15 fingers crossed I will be clean and clear as procedure itself doesn't bother me.

The clean prep is disgusting I gag every time I have a drink of it. Been trying to disguise the taste by rubbing toothpaste on my tongue drinking water. Washing my mouth with mouthwash but I can still always tastes it sad

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.