First time colonoscopy - not so bad!

Posted , 13 users are following.

Hi, I had a colonoscopy for the first time today and I was a little bit nervous about the procedure to say the least! I have long standing symptoms so I was determined to go ahead with it, even though the thought filled me with dread! After spending most of the afternoon yesterday reading reviews on other people's experiences, I was definitely not feeling any calmer about it! But I can honestly say it wasn't so bad.

I had a hard time drinking the bowel prep (Klean-Prep) as after half a glass I was already feeling sick. After the first two sachets, I had not been to the loo and was starting to think it wasn't going to work. But after 10 minutes or so of finishing it, it started working. I spent the best part of 2 hours in the loo and daren't venture further than the bedroom between visits. After an hours break I managed to drink the third sachet and after 45 mins or so I was able to go to sleep.

I didn't have the best night's sleep as I'd had to stop taking my painkillers for two days as they were opiates and can cause constipation so I was in a lot of pain. I was also still really anxious about the procedure.

When I arrived at the hospital, I was taken into a little room by a nurse who checked my blood pressure and other obs. She also explained the procedure to me and asked whether I would like sedation or gas and air or both. Obviously I opted for both! Then I was taken through to get changed into a hospital gown and they also give you a pair of disposable shorts, which made me feel not quite so embarassed.

When I was taken into the theatre room, the doctor spoke to me about the procedure. I mentioned that I was really nervous and he promised he would give me as much sedation as possible to relax me. They put a cannula into my hand and gave me oxygen. When they gave me the drugs I didn't feel any different at first and was worried that they weren't going to work! But after a couple of minutes I started to feel a bit drowsy and lightheaded, although I was still aware of what was happening. I can honestly say I didn't feel the scope going in and the first time I felt any discomfort was when they reached a bend in the colon, but even this wasn't anything more than a period-like pain. I found it quite fascinating to watch the procedure on the screen and could see that some biopsies were being taken, but couldn't feel it! Before I knew it the procedure was over. The doctor told me that everything appeared normal and he would see me back in clinic for the results of the biopsies.

They wheeled me through to the recovery area and observed me over around 30 minutes. Then they said if I was up to it I could get dressed and go home. They called my husband for me whilst I was getting dressed and then I was free to go. They said I might feel funny for a few hours because of the sedation but I felt absolutely fine from leaving the hospital. So much so that we went out for lunch afterwards! I'd not had anything to eat for 36 hours so as you can imagine I was a little bit hungry!

So all in all my experience was actually not that bad and I wish I hadn't wasted so much time worrying about the procedure as it was all over and done with in 90 mins from arriving at hospital to going home. I'm glad I read the reviews yesterday and hope that mine can reassure anyone in future that it really isn't so bad and definitely necessary if you are having bowel symptoms, as you can rule out anything serious straightaway. The worst part of it for me was drinking the horrible bowel prep stuff, but I found that mixing it with orange cordial and leaving it in the fridge for 30 mins beforehand made it a bit more palatable.

Hope this helps!!

7 likes, 37 replies

37 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

well hi, went for my appointment on friday and low and behold another camera inserted, i think i will start charging the doctors i would make a fortune. they wouldn't do any biopsey as i have a very inflamed bowl and infection. Another 3 weeks of antibiotics, then 3 weeks later wait for it yes another camera where the sun don't shine and this time all being well the biopsey. The antibiotics make me feel rough the increased fibre is making me bloated and wind plenty of it. Oh ! i also now take milpar to help me to go to the toilet. I just want to get this all over with.

If anyone thinks one colonoscpy is bad and uncomfortable, trust me you get use to it although not nice. If its what needs to be done then hey ho. Bottoms up.

• Posted

hi have appointment to see hosp.dr. for biopsey on the 12th june,after 2months on antibiotics and pain killers. will hopefully get some good news. fingers crossed. not looking forward to all the potions you have to drink beforehand. not like the other preps i have had. i feel very uncomfortable in the tummy but pain is going away. i know everyone hates the thought of the camera as i do, but i hate to say i think i am getting use to it had a few over the last month. not to bad so far.

• Posted

Hi juliajean

You have been through a lot but hopefully your biopsy on the 12th will be good news. As I said diet helps I have very severe diverticulitis which I now take morphine for which is very constipating so I have to be careful. Try this website for a very good diet which I am sure will help you I have been on it for three years now. www.greattastenopain.com.

great Jennyg

• Posted

hi there i am going to try the sight. thankyou. i think my family must be fed up with going to the hospital all the time. but i think they like me are just worried.

• Posted

hi, back again and feeling a lot better. had the camera again this time was sedated, went round the whole of the large bowel. no problems with that until the camera went round corners but again nothing to worry about. i didn't need a biopsey but i have mutiple diverticular in the sigmoid section which has been causing all the trouble. the bowel prep moviprep i think was the worse and not eating from 1pm on the monday until 6 pm on the tuesday evening. boy i was starving. i was given a letter for my gp and one for myself to keep.

so to everyone thanks for all your advice i shall keep watching. if have any other problems i will let you know.

thankyou so much

• Posted

Hi, I'm seeing gastroenterologist in a couple of weeks and considering my sympthoms I'm pretty sure I'm gonna need a colonoscopy. Can you please let me know how long do you have to wait for your test once you've been reffered?

Thank you for your help.

• Posted

Next time use PicoPrep: just 2 glasses. One in the morning and another 6 hours later. Ask Your Doc.

Azores

Portugal

• Posted

Next time ask Your Doc to use PicoPrep because it's just 2 glasses of preparation to drink; one at 8 am and the second around 6 to 8 hours after the fist one; so it's a big difference for the 4 liters ( gallon ) needed by the other cleaning preparations

Humberto

Azores Islands

Portugal

• Posted

Next time ask Your Doc to use PicoPrep because it's just 2 glasses of preparation to drink; one at 8 am and the second around 6 to 8 hours after the fist one; so it's a big difference for the 4 liters ( gallon ) needed by the other cleaning preparations

Humberto

Azores Islands

Portugal

• Posted

testing is done under general anesthesia and lasts a very slight morning ( 20 minutes to 1 hour, depending what they found to observe) You will not be able to drive out of the clinic and by 6 pm everything is ordinary.

Humberto

Azores Islands

Portugak

• Posted

Hi Humberto

Never heard of pico prep but will mention to my Gp next time. I don't think our hospital is very keen to do colonoscopy with a general anaesthetic and I know I do not think I could have another colonoscopy (which my Gp wants me to have) even with a sedative and pethidine as the pain and experience the last time was horrendous. The staff performing the procedure had to buzz for a consultant to help with the rest of the colonoscopy procedure because of the pain. Thank you for your advice Humberto.

Jenny G

• Posted

next time use PicoPrep just 2 cups
  • Posted

I'm just going through the prep now ready for a colonoscopy tomorrow morning.

I had one ten years ago and it was the most horrendous experience. I've had several operations, including a hysterectomy and having a large kidney stone removed surgically through my back, and they were nothing compared to the colonoscopy.

So when they told me during a recent hospital stay where I was admitted as an emergency that I'd have to have another, I said the only way would be under general anaesthetic. They refused, so I refused to have it.

My husband contacted the patient liaison people and they managed to sort things out and get the consultant to agree to do it under a general.

I'd rather take the risks involved with an anaesthetic than have a colonoscopy whilst I'm awake, so you can imagine how bad the previous one must have been.

This prep beforehand is pretty grim too - the Citrasfleet is disgusting.

I am never having this done ever again - the whole thing is awful. Having the restrict my diet, the prep and the procedure. Never again!

• Posted

First time colonoscopy : ) not such a big deal

I thought it might be good for me to explain the whole colonoscopy thing honestly in the hope it may encourage others to get screened too.

I do not like anything to do with hospitals and my Mum dreaded her colonoscopies and told us horror stories about them, so I was very scared! The reason I asked for the appointment was that I was having some irregularities, (no further explanation needed) and because of our very strong family history. I love my life and I love my family, so I figured that I could do my bit to try to be here as long as possible. I’ve also been very impacted by this guy’s blog Jared Noel who is a doctor and was diagnosed with BC very young:

Look him up, he’s a great blogger and advocate for early bowel screening.

Ok...the procedure...

You go on soft food diet for two days prior easy peasy eggs dairy food jelly clear drinks no worrys.

Then from lunch the day before its just clear liquids jelly and can do beef/chicken stock drinks, black coffee/tea and barley sugars clear jellys so not hard at all.

The dreaded prep:

4 litres of Klean prep to be consumed in four hours over 2x two hour periods!

The stuff tastes like salt with a vanilla flavour. Interesting combination!

I set myself up downstairs for the night near the spare toilet with movies, internet, books, barley sugars, baby wipes (no explanation needed)

Every 15 minutes I downed 1 cup of this stuff. I used a straw and chug chug chugged it down. The straw meant I hardly tasted it and I breathed through my mouth so that helped too. You do get really full and I retched a few times but I kept telling myself why I was doing it and kept going. I tried to down it in five minutes so i could have 10 minutes between each dose. It was not easy, but honestly...its doable! I actually felt a real responsibility to tax payers to do it properly. I felt so humbled and grateful to get the appointment while so many others are on waiting lists that I didn’t want to waste anyones time or money by trying to cheat on the eating and not getting properly cleaned out.

Next day I had to do another 2 litres and it was slightly easier in the morning. Nice with a few black coffees thrown in!

By then I was pretty much cleaned out and I was going pure liquid so was pleased that part was all over.

Was funny going to hospital as I got the urge but hubby couldn’t find a car park. In the end I said “JUST LET ME OUT!!!” and ran to the loo!!

Checkin was fine. Gown, bracelet, iv line ready for iv sedation. The worst part was no knickers in a waiting room with blokes as well as ladies. I swear my legs went purple from being tightly crossed.

Each time the door squeaked open my heart leapt a little but finally it was my turn.

I was taken through to the theatre and introduced to the Endoscopist and nurses. They were all very nice and reassuring. They treat you with so much respect and dignity and talk you through everything before doing anything.

I lay down on the bed and was given oxygen through a tube with two tiny bits that sit just inside the nostrils and then they gave me a sedative which made me relaxed and a little light headed. Think a glass of wine on an empty stomach. I was given buscopan (pain relief/muscle relaxant esp for abdomen) midazolam for sleepiness relaxant reduces anxiety and Fentanyl pain relief (50 -100 times more potent than morphine!!)

Then the procedure began. I felt nothing most of the time except for nearly as far as they went, he said going round the loops can be a bit uncomfortable.

I had a screen I could watch and while I swear I watched the whole thing I only remember about 1-2 minutes of viewing and they said I was about half an hour! Mmmmmm the meds did their job!!

All in all it felt like I was in there for about 2-5 minutes and then it was off to recovery. I was laid down to start with, and then they sat me up on a lean and gave me a cuppa and an egg sandwich. I don’t usually drink tea and it was in a horrible green plastic cup but I swear its the best thing I’ve ever drunk!!

I asked the nurse if she was the same one as in theatre and she laughed and said no. The meds!!!!

After a wee while the nurse asked me to get dressed and said she was going to call hubby.

Magically he appeared around the curtain in what felt like seconds later!! The meds again..lol!!.

I was then moved to an armchair until they were satisfied I was good to go home. My legs were a bit like jelly and I felt a little woozy (I’m having a day in bed today).

But really it was a breeze. Nowhere near as bad as I imagined. Very comfortable, not embarrassing or awkward. Just a breeze.

The best moment was when the nurse arrived with a letter of my report and said I’m all clear and will have another test in 5 years due to family history. YIPPEEEEE!!! I feel like a million bucks!! Time to start living!!!!

So in finishing I want to say: I am a total wimp. I was scared. I thought of a thousand excuses of why to not have this done. But it was fine and now I challenge you to go and get that appointment. You are loved, wanted, needed by many people and this is a gift you can give the people you love. If they find polyps (pre cancerous growths) they can remove these at the time and it literally saves your life if they get them early. Much easier and less risks than having full on surgery.

Stops them growing through the lining of the bowel and into other areas. Now the ball is in your court. Will you accept my challenge? I dare you...go to the doctor and ask for a colonoscopy.

• Posted

Thank you for your post. It is really nice to see you sharing your experience and letting others know what exactly happens during colonoscopy. My dad have bowel cancer and has been having several colonoscopy. While I was looking for Kleenprep I found your post. Glad found your post.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.