First time colonoscopy - not so bad!

Posted , 13 users are following.

Hi, I had a colonoscopy for the first time today and I was a little bit nervous about the procedure to say the least! I have long standing symptoms so I was determined to go ahead with it, even though the thought filled me with dread! After spending most of the afternoon yesterday reading reviews on other people's experiences, I was definitely not feeling any calmer about it! But I can honestly say it wasn't so bad.

I had a hard time drinking the bowel prep (Klean-Prep) as after half a glass I was already feeling sick. After the first two sachets, I had not been to the loo and was starting to think it wasn't going to work. But after 10 minutes or so of finishing it, it started working. I spent the best part of 2 hours in the loo and daren't venture further than the bedroom between visits. After an hours break I managed to drink the third sachet and after 45 mins or so I was able to go to sleep.

I didn't have the best night's sleep as I'd had to stop taking my painkillers for two days as they were opiates and can cause constipation so I was in a lot of pain. I was also still really anxious about the procedure.

When I arrived at the hospital, I was taken into a little room by a nurse who checked my blood pressure and other obs. She also explained the procedure to me and asked whether I would like sedation or gas and air or both. Obviously I opted for both! Then I was taken through to get changed into a hospital gown and they also give you a pair of disposable shorts, which made me feel not quite so embarassed.

When I was taken into the theatre room, the doctor spoke to me about the procedure. I mentioned that I was really nervous and he promised he would give me as much sedation as possible to relax me. They put a cannula into my hand and gave me oxygen. When they gave me the drugs I didn't feel any different at first and was worried that they weren't going to work! But after a couple of minutes I started to feel a bit drowsy and lightheaded, although I was still aware of what was happening. I can honestly say I didn't feel the scope going in and the first time I felt any discomfort was when they reached a bend in the colon, but even this wasn't anything more than a period-like pain. I found it quite fascinating to watch the procedure on the screen and could see that some biopsies were being taken, but couldn't feel it! Before I knew it the procedure was over. The doctor told me that everything appeared normal and he would see me back in clinic for the results of the biopsies.

They wheeled me through to the recovery area and observed me over around 30 minutes. Then they said if I was up to it I could get dressed and go home. They called my husband for me whilst I was getting dressed and then I was free to go. They said I might feel funny for a few hours because of the sedation but I felt absolutely fine from leaving the hospital. So much so that we went out for lunch afterwards! I'd not had anything to eat for 36 hours so as you can imagine I was a little bit hungry!

So all in all my experience was actually not that bad and I wish I hadn't wasted so much time worrying about the procedure as it was all over and done with in 90 mins from arriving at hospital to going home. I'm glad I read the reviews yesterday and hope that mine can reassure anyone in future that it really isn't so bad and definitely necessary if you are having bowel symptoms, as you can rule out anything serious straightaway. The worst part of it for me was drinking the horrible bowel prep stuff, but I found that mixing it with orange cordial and leaving it in the fridge for 30 mins beforehand made it a bit more palatable.

Hope this helps!!

7 likes, 37 replies

37 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I'm due for my fourth colonoscopy this Tuesday. The preparation is always the unpleasant part but as KV85 says it isn't that bad - the fact is that if your Consultant sees it necessary for you to have one then please go for it, the benefits of the procedure far outweigh those of possible risks. Add to this you will more than likely end up with peace of mind so to all those who are waiting, please go.for it.
  • Posted

Hello KV85. I don't know if you still read these, but a big THANK YOU for your post! I'm going for mine tomorrow morning and feel about the same as you did, so it's great to read your story. Mine is the annual check following surgery, but my first colonoscopy. They used a CT scan to have a look 11 months ago and I was in theatre 3 hours later. A bit urgent to say the least. Thanks again. John. 
  • Posted

Hi. My first one was all good. Mild sedation, hardly any pain, was wide awake and chatty and a great result. Next one in 3 years. No problems at all. 
  • Posted

Thanks for posting your experience KV85, it helped me a lot.  I was really worried about having a colonoscopy having had a painful Sigmoidoscopy a couple of months ago in another hospital.  I took the Klean Prep, all was as it should have been, the last 2 cups of the stuff were the worst.

I was just concerned about the pain,  having the procedure for both never bothered me at all.  When I arrived for the colonoscopy al the staff were really great, they talked me through what would happen, I thought I could have heavy sedation but they didn't do that so in the end I opted for Entonox with pain relief should I need it.  The procedure was again explained to me and they showed me how to use the Entonox and the procedure started.  I needed the Entonox a few times but I didn't need the pain relief and by the time they got to my appendix I was looking at the screen and asking questions.  Looking back I must say I don't know why I was worried and should I have to have another one I definately wouldn't be to scared.

• Posted

I'm really glad I read this, I have my colonoscopy app this morning at 10:30 & I'm so anxious sad 
  • Posted

Don't Put Off Your Rectum Check (haiku) "Colonoscopy - like getting high and farting - for twenty minutes"

• Posted

I've needed one for the last 2 years and have been nervous to go I set the appointment and never show up for reading this makes me feel a little better about showing up for the test really nervous tho but I'm gonna go do it thanks for your advice

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.