First time endoscopy

Posted , 4 users are following.

Getting this done in one day  should I get anesthesia or not I don’t like anesthesia I want to do it without is really uncomfortable without or just a little discomfort  if I get it with anesthesia I. Will have side effects after ? And I can’t take my allergies medicine with the anesthesia I just want to get it done without leave your experience here you ever had it done without anesthesia how it was thanks smile

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

I had it done with sedation and throat spray and I would do it again if I needed another one. The sedation makes you feel more relaxed even though you are not asleep. I had no side affects from sedation but you do need somebody to bring you home after and stay with you for 24 hours 
    • Posted

Oh ok so I won’t be sleeping like out right the sedation is just to make you relax the anesthesia like this ass well
  • Posted

6 years ago

I'll always avoid anaesthetics if at all possible. When I went for my endoscopy some years ago now I was given an illustrated leaflet explaining the procedure. I opted for staying fully awake and the procedure was again explained. The throat was sprayed with something that tasted vaguely of advocaat. Doctor said that was the worst bit but it didn't make me gag. Gum shield put in place and tube was fed in a little way and I was asked to swallow. It felt exactly like swallopwing a piece of dry bread and that was it I was able to turn over and have a guided tour of my stomach. Would definitely recommend this method though I must admit I'm not a gagger and can swallow quite large pills ok.

Everyone else had to stay and recover but after a quick once over I was allowed to drive myself 20 miles home.   ( I had arranged alternative just in case. )

Hope this is encouraging.

**************************

Don't know why this says it was posted 6 years ago. I've copied it from my reply to someone else seeking reassurance perhaps a month or so ago. Anyway it doesn't matter when I wrote it; it just gives my experience. As you will see, I  share your distaste for anaesthetics. Best wishes. Let us know how it goes.

? 0

• Posted

Thanks yes I want to get it done without anesthesia I had a nose endoscopy without anesthesia I should be fine for the stomach one I think I don’t gag hope that don’t make me feel like gagging crossing my fingers I can swallow large pills too just hope it don’t  make me gag thank you so much for taking the time to reaply wink

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.