First time getting drunk; anxious and surreal 3 days later

Posted , 6 users are following.

I'm just under 18 and had a few drinks on St Paddy's day. It was like a bottle and a half of buckfast. I was incredibly drunk for the first time in my life. I have a family history of alcoholism, bipolar disorder and various personality disorders. Three days on from drinking I have had two health related panic attacks and trapped in a feeling of surrealism, is this normal?

What should I do?

0 likes, 14 replies

14 Replies

• Posted

Buckie eh?

You don't want to drink that stuff, it'll turn you into a Ned. That's the best part of 20 units of alcohol. And your body is just not used to it and it has probably sent it into shock. Couple that with bipolar, for which you should be taking medication  and it is not recommended and not surprising you are suffering a bit.

If you have a family history of alcoholism, you are probably more prone to it yourself. What can you do? Keep off the Buckie, it'll lead to the harder stuff, stick to ordinary beer.

• Posted

To be fair i would say give the whole drink thing a miss. Yes i know more than anybody that it looks like fun and so many people do it... its socially accepted as being an ''ok'' drug to do. But think about it, bascially alcohol is nothing but a drug and is even used as a sterlaliser by doctors and surgeons. It is not meant to be consumed by us in any amount. There is not one single drop of alcohol that can actually be good for you. Bearing in mind your family history and what you have said about the way you feel, i think your body maybe telling you that it doesnt like alcohol very much at all. There are a lot of other ways to relax and have fun. Trust me, i am a person with a drink problem and if i could go back in time and never have that first sip i would. Good luck and keep in touch if you need to talk.

• Posted

Chuckling after reading this,reason being, What the hell is Buckie. Had to google it,thought i'd sampled virtually everything in my day. Having read about it,don't think ive missed out,described as tasting like Ribena mixed with Benylin(Yuk) ! Next time i'm down the beer aisle,in Morrisons,i'll be looking out for it(No not buying). Wife might worry why i'm amongst the wines and spirits,but i will explain this story to her. My advice,don't have it as part of your 5 a day cheesygrin

• Posted

You won't find it. It is a tonic wine made by monks in the West Country.

90% of it is sold to Glasgow and the other 10% to Ireland.

Go to Youtube and put in 'Buckfast challenge' some of the later ones are quite lame, but the original Scottish ones are good. Scroll down to the 5th one, that starts 'My mate Danny' to see the real Buckie culture.

• Posted

It is, it's a tonic wine. I don't think it tastes quite like Tony described it. But it is not an ordinary wine and the UK version is 15% ABV.

You would not take a bottle home to relax with a few glasses in front of the TV. I suggest you look at the video I mentioned, to see what it is all about.

BTW, I knew about Buckie many years before I ever had issues with alcohol. It is well known.

• Posted

Hiya

just watched the video and the one that went wrong!! Weird craze.

When my eldest son was 18, now 33, the latest craze wasn't a yard of ale, but a yard of spirits. To say he was ill was an understatement. His 'mates' bought him home, sorry carried him home. After discovering the amount of alcohol he'd had and him being comatose, ended up in A&E.

Drs said he was really lucky I'd taken him to hospital straight away. The % of alcohol in his body was off the scale. He had his stomach pumped and kept in for 24 hrs. 

Your earlier years must have been wilder than mine, I'd not heard of Buckie, my tipple was always brandy and champagne or babycham (do they still make babycham?)

• Posted

Oh, no, I've never drunk Buckie, but it is infamous.

Babycham? Showing your age there luv.

Unlike other things from the '70s, such as Watney's Red Barrel, chicken in a basket, fish 'n' chips wrapped in newspaper, that have disappeared, Babycham is still going. Available from all good supermarkets- relive your youth.

• Posted

Cheeky git! Yes am showing my age. Champagne or prosecco yes, babycham now would be a no no.

First meal with OH was berni inn special. Yes alright it might be before your time, was a 70s classic. Prawn cocktail, steak and chips, followed by Black Forest gateau.

Id forgotten about the chicken in a basket and scampi. Fish and chips on a polystyrene tray is not the same as newspaper. We go to Northumberland a lot and go to the best chippy ever. Still wrap in newspaper, batter bits free if you want them, along with a pickled egg.

Cant beat the 70's, Motown  all night along with dancing round handbags. Went to friends daughters hen do. My clubbing days well and truly over, couldn't see or hear!!

• Posted

"Cheeky git! Yes am showing my age. Champagne or prosecco yes, babycham now would be a no no."

I had you down as more of a Lambrini girl.

"First meal with OH was berni inn special. Yes alright it might be before your time, was a 70s classic. Prawn cocktail, steak and chips, followed by Black Forest gateau."

No doubt, washed down with a bottle of Blue Nunn or the house Liebfraumilch. (Berni Inns weren't too bad, disappeared some time in the '90s)

"We go to Northumberland a lot"

Newcastle I like, especially the Bigg Market. But because of my job, I had to move and live up in a remote part of Northumberland, about 15 miles west of Hexham. Absolutely nothing happening, more sheep than people and it never stopped raining, except for when it was snowing.

"Cant beat the 70's, Motown  all night along with dancing round handbags."

I always had the dancing around the handbags, as more of an '80s thing. Now there was a decade.

• Posted

Know what you mean Vicks about clubbing days well and truly over .they really are all nighters now ! In my day they used to close at 2 am

Babycham wow, now that was my first drink ever.My mum when I was 11 years old used to.let me have a bottle Christmas Day and a bottle Boxing day .That's where all the trouble started !!! Babycham has a lot to answer for LOL

• Posted

Haha I'd forgotten the Blue Nun and Liebfraumilch, they were disgusting, way too sweet.

The more remote the better, so long as there's a pub and restaurant within walking distance.

You can have the 80's and I'll have the 70's!!

Lambrini girl indeed! haha

• Posted

Nat my mum did exactly the same thing! Plus I was also allowed a glass of advocaat Christmas Day morning, UGH revolting
    • Posted

Ha ha let's blame it all the mums the lol ! I have a recollection too of advocaat Yuk lol

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.