First time I have admitted addiction. 7 days cold turkey.

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi, this is the first time ever that I have admitted to anyone other than myself that I am addicted to codeine plus ibruprofen.

It's been 10 years since I started using it every day.

It began accidentally when I took a handful of what I thought was plain painkiller when I had yet another extreme headache that had been on going for days (was happening a lot). I was so grateful when the painkillers worked so well that I checked the box and found out it was codeine etc and next thing I knew I was addicted.

I used up to as much as 90 to 100 tablets at my peak.

I had tummy issues and had to have emergency blood transfusions.

I have been trying to taper down for years and did eventually bring it down in the last 6 months to under 10 a day.

So that's my basic summary.

I, today am 7 days completely clean, I went cold turkey last week.

Have been vomiting most days but it got worse overnight and I can't keep fluids down.

Anyone else going through this right now? Or has? With any advice or such. I still can't bare to tell anyone in my life and feeling pretty alone.

I actually have not craved for it other than to relieve my physical symptoms.

Scared about what's ahead.

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

I think you've done the right thing to taper and the last jump is always going to be the hardest, your symptoms should ease over the next few days but if your really worried you could speak to a pharmacist just to get some advice if your not wanting to talk to your doc.

Try and keep hydrated for now and hopefully you'll be able to keep food down soon.

Try peppermint oil on your forehead for any future headaches you may get, it works brilliantly for me on my neck that I have issues with.

Don't give yourself a hard time over this either, just remember you through the other side of this nightmare it's time to start living your life to the full now, good luck I wish you all the best 😊

• Posted

Thanks for your reply.

Jad a bit of a rough night last night and went down.

Also sweated rivers of sweat all night long (was bad!).

Today the diarrhea has kicked in (lovely lol) so I have stocked up on hydralites, multi vitamins, probiotocs and am going to try passionflower tea soon.

Am feeling more hopeful today so far.

• Posted

Ye unfortunately they all come with the territory but it seems your in good spirit and have a good mind set on this, hope they start easing soon, we'll done and good luck 😊

• Posted

Hi Nicnack (:

Firstly, huge congratulations on your progress so far and being able to admit your addiction. Those first steps are truly the hardest.

Everything you're going through is absolutely normal. It sucks royally an there isn't really an easy road, but you really should be coming to the beginning of the end of that stage.

It took me a solid couple of weeks to get past the nausea, diarrhoea, exhaustion and night sweats but I promise it does pass. What you're doing to stay healthy is exactly the right thing to do.

If I could offer one extra thing to help you through, tell someone you trust. Even if only to recruit someone to cheer you on through this. It's bloody hard getting off this vile stuff and sometimes someone offering encouragement can be the thing that gets you through the day (:

You will sleep without soaked sheets again, you will feel well and have energy again, it's coming, just hang in there for maybe another week xxx

• Posted

Hey just going through some of these and wanted to see how you are and if you’re clean still?? I’m going through similar and cold turkey as I’m embarrassed to tell anyone...

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.