First time kidney stone

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hi, I'm 19 (with no insurance) and for the past 4 days I've been feeling different sorts of abdomen pain, whether it's in the front near my bladder or excruciating pain in my back.

Yesterday was the most pain I think I've felt in my life where it was difficult to stand, sit, walk, or even lie down. I threw up atleast 3 times after attempting to drink water and ate nothing all day. Not to mention I wasn't able to urinate that much, so again, I felt like I definitely had a kidney stone.

However, today I woke up after a terrible night of pain to absolutely no pain this morning! I DO have an odd feeling in my opposite side where I believe my left kidney is... but I'm not too worried about it as its a very weak feeling.

I'm confused though. Yes, I haven't been able to urinate that much yesterday, along with the past 3 other days prior, but I never experienced discolored urine. Everything was just normal clear or light yellow. Now suddenly there's no pain?? Is it going to come back or what?

Opinions and like experiences would be appreciated knowing about. Please help! sad

0 likes, 15 replies

15 Replies

• Posted

Hi Nick,

In my own experience I had severe pain on a Thursday night and went to a&e where a doctor said I had blood in my urine, sent me home with pain meds and instructed me to see my doctor.

On the Friday I did just that and I had no pain for about 48 hours

On the Saturday night I was in severe agony for about 3 hours and went back to a&e . I couldnt urinate by this time either.

It was discovered after a scan that i had 5 stones and both tubes were completely blocked.

My right kidney was badly infected so it was assumed it had been blocked a few days .

I was rushed thankfully straight into surgery where i had two stents inserted over 2 days .

My thoughts are to get checked out asap . You don't want long term kidney damage.

Ps: not trying to frighten you . Rather safe than sorry.

All the best .

• Posted

Hi Nick, you need to go to your GP right away and get checked out, you do have alot of the symtoms of Kidney stones so a visit is definatly needed! You may pass them as many people do but this could take days week or even months, blood in the urine will come eventually.
  • Posted

Hi nick I've had lots of stones before. Some pass some need removing. All I know is drink plenty of water and possibly take naproxen/ibuprofen if you have it. Until you've seen doctor/hospital

• Posted

OK First of all where do you live? are you on holiday? why do you need insurance?

Sorry if this seems like a series of questions but they are important.

I think this could be a kidney stone, I have a kidney stone and the pain comes and goes like you say.

The first thing is to get yourself to a doctor and find out if this is a kidney stone. AnĀ  ordinary GP may suspect this but really you need to have a scan to have this confirmed.

Hope you do not get this pain again, but do get yourself checked out.

Take care and keep in touch

Sarah

• Posted

It is now Tuesday, I'm unemployed and I have no insurance. The back pain and violent shaking has just started around 8:34am once I woke up, this is after two days of pain free non-symptoms. It is now 9:05am as I'm writing this and my ibuprofen is kicking in but it is still hell.

• Posted

Sorry forgot to answer part of your question, I live in Washington, over near Portland, Oregon.
    • Posted

As your shaking you should go to your doctor asap, you may have an infection in your kidney.
    • Posted

Hi Nick, I'm American with years of kidney stone experience. Most of the people on this site are from the U.K., but this site has been very helpful. 

1.  Do you have a fever?

2.  Do you still have pain?

3.  Do you live near an urban clinic?

• Posted

Just to add to others, If it is comfirmed as Kidney stones ( by a CT scan) you will need to reduce your salt intake, drink 2-3 liters of water per day and if you do alot of exersize then more is needed! Drinking herbal tea is better than tea, cut the fat of meats and eating skin of a cooked chicken is bad but worst of all is chocolate cake & biscuits. I know this as I had the op only 3 weeks ago.

• Posted

It varies depending on the person. I was told to reduce red meats, beans and fizzy drinks. I cannot drink a Dr Pepper without getting a kidney stone. What's the worst that can happen? A kidney stone in my case

• Posted

Les I was sent home with a booklet full of stuff you not suppose to drink or eat, nearly everything I like lol and funny enough my worst bout was brought on by eating a jam donut and a can of coke!
  • Posted

Your symptoms do sound like stone blocked kidney with infection , I'm going through it all right now , don't wait until you are hanging off a hospital counter in a jibbering mess begging for help covered in sick and sweat like I was , I am in the uk so was able to get some treatment I don't know how it works over in the U,S surely you should be able to get some sort of help , you will not like what is coming your way if you don't get help soon trust me I was like you sick shivering mess on and off for months before having a stent inserted BUT a stent can be just as uncomfortable for some of us stone formers , hope you get yourself some sort of help soon buddy.

• Posted

You cannot explain the pain until you have had one. Once I had it I thiugh I'd be prepared for the next one but no I wasn't. First one I got was in Bangkok so I was so scared that something was seriously wrong then I found out what it was I thought if I get one of these in England I'll be ok. No I was not ok. WORST PAIN EVER

• Posted

Nic-I'm a kidney stone pro, I get them all the time. What you experienced with the awful pain going to no pain is the stone moving down the ureter and stopping. I can tell when my stone is stuck in the ureter my pain goes away. When it starts moving again is when the pain flares up. I'll give you some suggestions when you have a stone; drink water as much as possible and try to walk when the pain is bad. I know they can be really miserable, but the object is to pass them into your bladder. If you can get them in your bladder they will come out the urethra without too much problem.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.