First Time mirtazapine experience

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hi All

Just thought I would tell you about my experience so far.

I have been motivated by some of your experiences on here and thought I would try mirtazapine after much time convincing myself that I was better off without medication.

I am about a week on since I started it, so I can't say much so far...

To sum it up, many of the people on here, like me, didn't want to take mirtazapine because of some of the side effects that I had heard others experience...For me, I have experienced little side effects.

I have had no life threatening side effects.

The only side effects I have noticed really is drowsiness about an hour after taking the dose (15mg) which feels a bit like you are 'spaced out' but by just lying down in bed makes this feeling okay.

Maybe sometimes feeling restless when trying to get to sleep, and waking up a few times after bizarre dreams...

Also increased appetite for sugary foods, although this could be controlled by simply eating fruit.

The bottom line is, I didn't experience any adverse effects from mirtazapine a week on. I scared myself into not taking the medication because of some bad side effects. But eventually I took it, and it isn't that bad after all smile I will update you with my progress.

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

I agree with you, I;ve had no side-effects with it except the tiredness. I got put off taking it by the amount of negative experiences on here, but it's good to hear the good things as well
  • Posted

No one person will ever have exactly the same response/reaction to a medication,prescribed or otherwise. If it seems to be working for you then stick with it. I am one of the people who seems to have pretty nasty adverse reaction to mirtazipine but it does work really well for some people. You don't know until you try. Just please see your support worker if you feel worse. It may be unrelated to meds but worth checking. Good luck. :?: :?: :?:
  • Posted

Just an update on the experience.

Its been 2 weeks since I started on mirtazapine.

Don't really feel any 'better' so to speak.

There is no improvement on the depression.

Sleeping is easier due to feeling drowsy about an hour after taking one.

There is an increased craving for sugary/sweet foods and may have put on some weight.

Only side effects experienced really are drowsiness, increased appetite.

smile

• Posted

One week on Mirtazapine feeling agitated, buzzing, sick, sleeping well tho, I will continue to take as I believe the feelings sibside in time ( hope so )

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.