First time on a plane in awhile..didn’t like it. Would Dramamine help?

Posted , 2 users are following.

I haven’t been on a plane since 2016. Yesterday was my first time flying in 3 years. I’ve been too scared to fly ever since I had vertigo in December 2016 and February 2017. So ever since then I’ve been extra cautious when it comes to my inner ear so I try to avoid situations that involves the inner ear. But the flight yesterday was just alittle bit over an hour so I thought i would be fine. And didn't bother to take any medications. But instead I was pretty nervous thinking something will go wrong. I got nervous during the ascend because of the weightless feeling that I get during it which I never liked to begin with it. So I think that put me on edge. And then during the descending, the plane would make turns and I started to feel uneasy...I think I was experiencing motion sickness. It felt like a rollercoaster and I don’t like rollercoasters. And if I looked out the window while the plane was turning, it would freak me out so I had to look away. It felt like my brain and my body weren’t registering what was going on. I go back home tomorrow night so I’m trying to figure out what I should do before the flight to make the flight more smoothly. Should I try taking a Dramamine before going on the plane? I bought the chewy tablets that are 50mg. Or should I bother not doing anything because the flight is only like an hour long?

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

Update: i did decide to take a Dramamine on the flight back home on monday night. the flight was only 40 minutes long and it seemed a lot smoother because there wasn't any drastic turns. i think the dramamine did help a little..it made me extra tired and made me relax alittle bit.

But i am upset that the first flight didn't go too well for me. It was only an hour flight and i couldn't handle the turns that the plane was making. i've never had issues with flying before until now.

Is there a possible that the vertigo i had 3 times before back in 2016 and 2017 messed up my vestibular system so now i'm extra sensitive to some movement? like my vestibular system never fully recovered after the vertigo episodes? could that be why i was having trouble while the plane was doing weird sideway turns?

• Posted

^^^can anyone confirm this for me? is it possible that having vertigo 3 times permanently damaged my vestibular system so therefore im extra sensitive to certain movements like flying on a plane? nobody understands me when i try telling them that i never want to fly again. they just tell me that i should take a xanax when flying but i dont think that will help. im trying to tell them that i think my vestibular system is damaged but they don't understand or believe me. is there a better way i can explain this to them?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.