First time on anti depressants

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hello

Just need advice about taking Prozac ?? I have just been to the DR to

Let them know I feel depressed , this has been going on for years and my partner finally

Said that she really thinks I need to sort my head out . The advice was taken and my doctor was great in her understanding of my issues and decided to put me on Prozac 20mg a day !

I'm a bit scared when it comes to this kind of thing , but I really need help as my days are simply null and void and it's a very strange world in there! I have just moved from the city to a small coastal town up north as I have a toddler and one on the way this July to better myself from the stress of my last job , but have landed myself in an equally , no let me requote that 3 times more stressful job to which I really did not plan very well and should of thought about the responsibilities it involved ?.

The Prozac only after 2 days has had a weird effect on me and I just walked into work and made out I was ill with the cold as I could not if faced the shift ahead ... Now my dilemma us how do I cope with all this new learning if a job , being depressed , feeling slightly zonked and not bothered in Prozac , when I have a family to support , like most forums I have read , most people don't mention work and it's effect , how will I cope feeling tired and still depressed on medication trying to learn a system that involves cash handling and clear thinking and being surrounded by people having fun ( hospitality trade) I just want to scream my head hurts so much , it's hard trying to turn on that you are ok in this environment and care for the customer when you just want to tell them all your sick and need help and to just " leave me alone" ... I'm really scared this is going to show at work ? Can some one help on this matter who has been there done that ?

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi Eddie

Give the Prozac time as the tiredness may subside. If it doesn't, I recommend you to go back to your gp and explain the situation that you need to be able to function at work. All anti depressants are different and there will be the right one out there without have a tiredness effect.

I was the same when I was working for the fire service when I was on another type or 2 of anti depressants. My job at that time involves driving and I was unable to do this with the drowsiness and tiredness so I do understand as you don't want it to effect your job.

Carebear x

• Posted

Also ask you manager for a referral to occupational health as there might be a way to put you on phased hours and reduce work load till the effect of your medication has subsided.

That's what happened to me. I was taken off driving duties for a bit as well.

Hope that helps.

Carebear x

• Posted

Hi Eddie, I'm definitely feeling your pain. However maybe the above answers may be better than mine. I was on Prozac for awhile (don't know what the dosage was) but I didn't feel a thing. I have tried all of the SSDI? I think that is the category... Remeron, Zoloft, etc. The last one I was on was Paxil. The DR started me @30mg. and increased it to 60mg. I still did not feel a thing. Then she asked me if i wanted to try 90mg. I told her yes. After about 5 days of the increase, I felt like a complete Zombie is the best way to describe it. I was even more depressed. I cut them out completely and that's the last I've tried of those types. I really think I would do a lot better on the benzo's but trying to get a DR to prescribe those seems useless. Right now I am in limbo and feel like s*** every day. I guess the best thing is that I am on disability because of physical problems I have and don't have to deal much with the public. The only thing I can say is maybe try to cut back a little on your meds and gradually work up to them. But having a job would probably be a lot better for me because I would focus as much on my work as I could. But I know, different people have different situations. I'm sorry that I don't have the answer either. I'm still trying to figure mine out too. But I wish you a lot of luck and hope you will figure yours out sooner than me. PS. I used to self medicate by drinking but ended up in ICU. So I can't even have a drink. I don't advise that either.
  • Posted

Hi carebear

Don't think my work will be so understanding with a newbie with depression , not the best start!

The job itself has escalated my depression as I hate it , nice mix eh ? Hate my new only earning income job , having to work 11/13 hr shifts and keep the smile wide and listen to complaining customers when all I want to scream is " just leave me alone , you don't know what's happening in my head "

If I could cut out the job until I got better It would relieve my anxiety and nervousness if being depressed and pretending I give a @£" ... It just makes even more depressed to think I need to get out if bed to perform for 12 hrs , I'm looking for lines of work as know I can't just leave, but living in a small town with little work , it's not easy.. So I'm hoping this drug works , cause at the moment I'm going to go crazy the way my head spins ...

• Posted

Hi pat

Thanks for the advice about the different sort of drugs out there , it's nice to get kind words from people in the same situation , it's hard , it's really hard... This mind game the head plays with you , never thought it could happen to me !

I'm too strong to do anything stupid , but the pain is unbearable as you all will know .. Hope to hear from more of you going through this , as it really us comforting to know . And why is it you always think your the only one ??? Wow managed a tiny real smile thinking if that... Thanks

• Posted

It's hard the work situation and even harder with the fact that you do shifts! No wonder it is having an effect on you.

I think the best you can do is do what you can do. Give the Prozac time to work but if it makes you angrier or anxious, agitated or even suicidal, go straight back to the gp as it may not suit you. It didn't suit me but that doesn't me the same will go for you too.

If you are still not happy with the meds side as gps are not experts in mental health, ask your gp to make a referral to see a pysch. There will be a waiting list though depending what area you are living in.

I left my job but I love it, the role I was doing was but hated the new changes and politics!

Best wishes x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.