First time on Prozac

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi. Ive been on lexamil(escitalopram) for about 8 months and my doctor switched me to prozac(fluoxetine) about 3 weeks ago. Iam on 40 mg per day. Iam not feeling good at all. Iam tired and want to sleep the whole day. Does not matter how much i sleep at night i still wake up feeling very tired. I also have a constant headache. Is these symptoms normal and will it go away? Can somebody give me some advice?

0 likes, 19 replies

19 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I made the same switch for interactions with the citalpram and another med I'm on. It took a long while and I had to back off on the 40mg to 20. I just couldn't handle the side effects. Each person's different. I was happy with the citalpram on the minimal symptoms before I had to start the other Med's needed from a TBI. It takes time to figure out if it works for you and live with whatever side effects you can handle that out weigh the other. Time and you may keep a log to compare.

• Posted

Hi. Thanks for everyone's advice and comments. Iam still only 21 years old and the depression started last year with not being able to cope with my studies at uni. The problem that i have with the meds is that it doesn't seem that anybody ever fully recovers on them. I just want this all to end so that i can get my degree and carry on with my life. Is there anybody that fully recovered from depression and felt great while on these meds?

• Posted

Thanks for everyone's advice and comments. Iam still only 21 years old and the depression started last year with not being able to cope with my studies at uni. The problem that i have with the meds is that it doesn't seem that anybody ever fully recovers on them. I just want this all to end so that i can get my degree and carry on with my life. Is there anybody that fully recovered from depression and felt great while on these meds?

• Posted

Hi Ed,

people do recover, please do not lose hope. Along with the meds helping with the recovery, you will learn eventually more coping techniques with stress and anxiety too. I know it doesn't feel like it now, but the breakdowns and depressions do make us stronger. We find new strength when we hit rock bottom.

When I was 24 I suffered first round of depression/anxiety. I recovered with the medicine after about 9 months, to stop taking them. I had great 7 years, then had another breakdown and bout of depression when 31, due to challenging circumstances and also because I never dealt with my issues properly. But again I recovered with meds, quite quickly, like in 3 months. Recently, after another 5 years the depression came back again but this time I am doing also therapy and I feel finally I am on the way to recover for life...the root causes need to be addressed. The meds starting working for me at 2 months and I am starting to feel better and stronger again. The positive for me was that both times in the past when I had the illness, I always had my best years after I recovered - I always achieved more, workwise, took on new hobbies, built more confidence etc. The experience of the mental struggles does change you and makes you stronger. And it makes you more open and connected to others too. So in a way I am also grateful for the bad times.

Do not lose hope. People do recover. Also on here you can find posts reporting positive recovery. I believe we can all do it! Uni is very stressful time indeed and you will get through it!! All the best.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.