First time on Shingles

Posted , 6 users are following.

Has anybody experience shingles without no pain or itching? I only experienced the rash and I'm getting spasm or muscle twitches and sensitivity in my upper left body. I seen my doctor and was prescribed prednisone. Has anybody taken only prednisone without any other meds for shingles? And has it work! Thanks.

1 like, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

I didn't itch but I sure had some pain!  I didn't take prednisone.  I was given an antiviral and Lyrica for pain.  Since I was beyond the 72 hour point, the anit viral was not as effective as if I'd gotten it earlier.  I'd also had the shingles shot several years before so I was told that I'd have a milder case.  It didn't seem mild to me for a couple of weeks but by the end of a month, the worst was definitely over.  I'm now entering month five since the initial outbreak.  The only thing I have now is a very tender spot, about the size of a silver dollar, on the palm of my hand and some tenderness extending up my thumb.  I have occasional spasms of the knife-like pain but feel as if I'm essentially over it with no restrictions on what I do.

• Posted

Hi Texas!

Was your birth year 1976?

If you saw the Medical Professional​ within 3 days of the rash, you should have been started on an antiviral such as Valcyclovir or Famciclovir. The use of Prednisone is controversial unless it is in the eye area and you have swelling.

With some younger individuals, but not all, they do not experience as much pain or itching as the older individuals.

Often times, the pain can increase after the initial rash has appeared and intensifies.

You should have been started on an antiviral if you saw a medical professional within the 72 hour window.

If you are getting sensitivity, I would think that you are getting pain.

May I ask how old you are? What symptoms do you have? Where is the rash? How long have you had the rash?

I am a Nurse Practitioner in the US and have had Herpes Zoster-Shingles every three to five weeks in my right ear for the past twenty years and twice in my right eye.

Best wishes

Merry Juliana

• Posted

Hi Merry,

I'm currently 41 years old. I'm

Not sure why primary doctor didn't prescribe me an antiviral, just prednisone. When you mean prednisone is controversial, as in it's bad? My rash started this past Tuesday and went to my doctor on Thursday. After reading abour shingles online I noticed most people were taking an antiviral and prednisone so me being concern, on Friday evening I tried to call my doctor but he was not available so I used the MD live where you can speak to a doctor by phone and he said antiviral meds only work if it's less than 48 hours but he indicated, I'll prescribe acyclovir anyways since there will be harm, other than it's already too late. So now I'm taking both meds.

The rash is in my upper left side of my stomach right below my left chest and also in the back area but the front is worst than the back. As far for pain, I'm not having a lot of pain just a lot slight and light tingling sensation and sensitive when my shirts touches the affected area. It's not even itchy. Before the rash started, I was having a lot of spasm and muscle twitches like somebody poking me with a needle.

Currently, I'm not feeling that much of anything so I'm not sure if the meds are working for me not to feel any pain but I noticed it has more red bumps than before. This is day 5 since I got this and started prednisone on thursday and acyclovir today. Does it normally get worst? Im hoping my doctors accurately diagnosed me with shingles and not something else since the people that I read with shingles experiences a lot of pain and painful blisters but wit my experience not so much not unless mine will get worst later.

Thanks for response and any feedback is appreciated since I am new to this.

• Posted

Hi Tex!

If the rash is restricted to your left side, and the sensation of your shirt feels likes needles pricking you, that describes Shingles perfectly. The twitching of your muscles is classic. The pain can get worse, so I am glad you got the Acyclovir.

Prednisone isn't bad to be on for Herpes Zoster-Shingles, the studies are inconclusive as to whether it actually helps. Some scientific studies say it does, and some say it doesn't. As you started on it, stay on it. I am glad you are on the Acyclovir, as it will stop the virus from replicating. It would have been better, the earlier you started, but there is nothing to say you can't start later than 72 hours.

Sometimes the pain gets worse, and sometimes not. I would try to sleep and rest as usually the pain gets more severe if you do too much.

You are not contagious if the rash is completely covered by clothing.

I am assuming that you live in Texas? Or are from Texas? My parents lived in El Paso and are buried at the National Cemetery there.

Please let me know how I can help you.

Did your Physician give you any pain medication?

Best wishes

Merry Juliana

• Posted

Hi Merry

My physician probably didnt recommend or give me any pain medication because i didnt experiece any major pains when i saw him. I only informed him that i was having a slight tingling muscle spasm, twitching and sensitive sensation in my upper abdomin and back. I did experience a slight headache yesterday morning that was coming from the back of my head but i took tylenol and it went away so im not sure if that was part of the symptoms of shingles or just having so much stress and thinking about this.

The only bad thing is I took a leave from my work for the last 5 weeks due to so much stress at my job, now and i have to go back to work this coming monday. From what i read, i heard stress is one of the possible main reason why the virus from chicken pox comes out of dormant status and turns to shingles. In addition, i heard it aggregates the shingles more if you are stress so im not sure how I am suppose to go to work this monday and hoping i wont feel any major pain since currently not having any major pains. I'm thinking about extending my leave but i dont want to get in trouble and loose my job since i been out from work for 5 weeks now due to so much stress at my job.

I currently live in Houston, Texas. I never been to El Paso but i have a lot of friends who are from there and moved here.  Other than the hot weather, i love texas but not the humidity so much. sad

• Posted

Sounds like the stress was probably a major factor in your getting shingles.  It's a real shame that your doctor didn't prescribe antivirals when it would have done a lot of good, but that ship has sailed.  I would consider telling your employer that you've just been diagnosed with shingles and need to extend your leave for at least a week, maybe two.  Be honest with them about your situation.  Returning now could only make it worse in the long run.  Shingles demands that you rest!

• Posted

Hi Texas!

What sort of job do you do?

The headache is part of the symptoms of Herpes Zoster-Shingles. Malaise, exhaustion, fatigue, and aches and pains are other symptoms that can accompany the rash and pain.

As a Nurse Practitioner, I experienced major stress on my job. It was usually never the patients, rarely the aggressive family members, and usually the politics in the workplace. I loved my patients, but as health care became a business, not run for the benefit of the patients, it was indeed very stressful for me as I always advocate for my patients.

If you needed a five week break away from your job, and the stress I am certain contributed​ to the Herpes Zoster-Shingles, it is perhaps time to reflect on changing employment or career paths.

This is not news to you. I was 42 when I left my violent husband, divorced him, became a nurse practitioner while working as a single mother. It is never to late to change to what is healthy for you....

Best wishes

Merry Juliana

• Posted

That's what I was thinking too. I'm

sure stress was big factor. I will probably take another week or two and hoping my job will understand since I already taken 5 weeks off. Thanks for your feedback.

• Posted

I'm a Project Analyst for a technology company and its very stressful since we work with different projects at one time. I been trying to find another career but with our current economy, I haven't had any luck so I'm hoping I will find something in the future. I know staying in this job is not healthy for me but my son just started college so I don't want to change careers or job until he finishes college.

Last night I couldn't sleep because I'm starting to feel that pain where you are being poke with a needle. When I checked the affected areas this morning, I notice more blisters were coming out more and it was bigger which probably explained why I started to feel more pain last night. From your experience, does that mean it's getting worst or it's going to the next stage? Im not sure if I should make an appointment with a dermatogist on Monday and get a second opionion if they have other treatments to speed up the healing processs. What do you think?

I'm sorry to hear that you had to go through and experience with your exhusband. I can imagine what you must have gone through but I'm glad you are not in that negative relationship because in the long run, being happy and treated with respect is what's important in our lives.

• Posted

Texas,

If you wish to send private information without being moderated, click on the brown envelope and only I will read it!

Merry Juliana

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.