First time posting and total Cholesterol is 241

Posted , 5 users are following.

I have had my cholesterol checked for years and I seem to hover aroud 230. I just received results of total of 241, Trigycerides 80, HDL 75, and VLDL 16, LDL 150.  My ratio is 3.2 and is says 1/2 average risk.

I had my arteries scanned a few months ago and my arteries were "52 years old" and I am 50.  I am a very active runner with no other risk factors.  My doctor had the nurse call and say all my results "looked good."

I am not a big fan of medications and he knows that but I am wondering if its time to consider a statin.  Any thoughts?

1 like, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

You have near normal in the upper limits . Ratio of Cholesterol / HDL is 3.2 is also normal (<4). 

So the doctor is correct. Looks Good. 

No need for medications as adviced. 

Keep up the active lifestyle. 

• Posted

Hi Mike, my experience with statins resulted in joint & muscle pain. This may not happen to you but I have to agree with Rocky.  Your numbers are near normal. I would love to have HDL of 85. I've been reading that the cholesterol ratio to HDL is a better measurement than total cholesterol.  Just curious... but do you lift weights or strength train?  

• Posted

Thanks for the reply.  Yes I strength train 4 days a week and run or cycle at least that many days a week.  Does that impact HDL?
    • Posted

Yes. I'm trying to get consistent on my strength training. I know it helps improve HDL. Thanks for inspiration. 

• Posted

I would suggest classes or groups.  My strength training is a  group with an instructor.  It is more of a functional fitness class.  I am also in a running group and most are younger and they keep me moving. I have some motivation but groups really help me.
    • Posted

Thanks Mike! I'm sure I need a group. I've been putting it off. 

• Posted

I had a calcium scan a couple of years ago and my score was around 200. I'm 62 and my cardiologist says that I have a little bit of plaque and that's why I'm trying to get my HDL up.

I'm on 1mg of Crestor and that took my LDL from 95 to 78.

John

• Posted

I took a statin and ezetroll ,only meds that really brought my cholesterol down under the required level.

For my statin leg pain I eat peanut butter everyday and zero pain result.

Reading over the years I've seen just as much benefits for statins as harm.

For me personally it's done well.I do believe it prevented a heart attack by restricting swelling.

Look after your arteries

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.