First time taking Fluoxetine...

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi,

today I was diagnosed with OCD and have been given 20mg fluoxetine to take. 

I'm a little nervous due to the side effects..

moreover, I've got 3 days of training starting next Tuesday...this gives me 5 days for the tablets to get into my system and the side effects to subside..do you think that's possible? 

Any advice ice would be really appreciated!

thank you all in advance, 

liam biggrin 

1 like, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Liam, everyone is different. Some experience little to no side effects and some can experience them for several weeks. Fluoxetine is a very slow medication to get into your system, which should make it easier to go onto and come off of.

Personally my SE's were nausea, lightheadedness and some GI issues(mainly cramps and the "runs"). They wore off after a couple weeks. I wouldn't worry too much and you'll probably know within a day or two if they are manageable.

Good luck with your med!

• Posted

Good luck with everything Liam. As others have said not everyone has side effects so maybe you will be lucky and you are on a low dose aswell Stay strong. cheesygrin
    • Posted

Thank you for your kind words, Elaine. 

I really do appreciate it!

Liam smile 

• Posted

No problem. I know it makes me feel better knowing I am not alone and can talk with like minded people. cheesygrin
  • Posted

Dear liam19509, 

Side effects vary. On average, side effects take four to six weeks to subside. Fluoxetine can take up to six weeks to take effect, whereby you can see change in your mood, etc. Do not stop taking without Doctor's advise. 

Remember, you're not alone! All the best!

Xoxo, 

Janne

• Posted

Thank you for the kind words, Janne.

It's nice to know I have people to talk to who are going through the same as me!

It's very much appreciated!

Liam smile x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.