First trainers after surgery

Posted , 7 users are following.

Can anyone suggest any trainers suitable after scarf/akin and hammer

toe surgery as I have never bought any trainers before. I will be at week 3 so I want to make sure I buy the right ones. The surgeon will be taking my stitches out at the same time so I really need help to get it right. Pretty

embarrassing that I have never had any trainers but I have always been a

loafer girl!

If this is on twice I apologise but this is the first time I have posted on this site.

Thank you.

Theresa

0 likes, 14 replies

14 Replies

• Posted

Just as long as you have wide fitting & not tight you will be fine! Maybe sketchers or nikes will be good! 👍🏼

• Posted

Thanks so much I will start looking online. I had a

bunionectomy on th 24th March and had my first post op

appointment today. It was scarf,akin plus second

toe shortening.

• Posted

I think you'll be really lucky to fit in trainers of any kind after only 3 weeks, if I'm being honest. Do you have post operative boots / shoes? I had bilateral scarf and akin osteotomies, so similar to what you had done, and I was in the lovely shoes provided post surgery for 6weeks, until I saw the surgeon for my 6week check up. Naively, I took my trainers with me, hoping to be wearing them home. I think the surgeon must have known because he told me not to worry about them right away but to wean myself off of the post operative shoes. As soon as I got home, I tried to put my trainers on (which, incidentally, are a size bigger than my regular size) and I couldn't get my feet in them, so he kindly stopped me being embarrassed!! I didn't get any normal footwear on until the 8 week mark.

All I can suggest is get a size bigger (and wider if possible) and see how you get on. I am nearly 6months post operation and my feet aren't swollen any more, which is lovely, but it's taken time.

You are very early days. Good luck with the trainers....

Take care.

• Posted

I have got the heel walking boots and will have them on till

next week when I have the stitches out. The surgeon seemed

very pleased today as I had barely any swelling or bruising. I

have to admit that I have really worked hard these last 2

weeks, staying in bed with my foot up and only getting up

for the allowed 5 minutes, it drove me bonkers but I am a keen ballroom and latin dancer and am desperate to get back to it as soon as possible. My age is against me as I am 59 though.

I will prepare for the worst next week but take them along in

hope. I am wondering whether to get Clarkes as they do wide? Any thoughts?

• Posted

You're doing well, I was still in my surgical shoe passed 6 weeks.

I found any training shoe with a wide toe bed fine. The one thing

I did do was not put the laces in the bottom few holes that way

when laced up they didn't put pressure on the scar.

• Posted

Good idea, I have to say that my second toe is very sore but hope that this will be better in a weeks time. From what other people say I may not get into shoes next week if they are still tender but it is something to focus on. I think I will just browse for any makes that do a wide fitting ang go from there. I really want a combination of soft leather and width, that might limit me to Clarkes but the good old internet will help out there. My surgeon was insistent that I did nothing for the first 2 weeks and I think this really helped. He has also done 9000 procedures so I think he has got the hang of it now!
  • Posted

Hi Theresa I have been wearing sketchers trainers

have loosened the laces to allow for feet if swelling 

i have also bought some sketchers on the go you can just slip your feet in them expensive but worth it for comfort 

• Posted

No normal size I was 4 weeks post op was told to take open toe shoes when plaster came off

then had. Trainers on week later

• Posted

Hi Teresa - I went for Sketchers GoWalk, the material is really soft and the soles are thick so give you protection and they are light. I still wear them and I am two years further on than you! Also many of my friends were so impressed with them they bought some too. Hope that helps.
    • Posted

Interesting Sketchers seems to be winning so far. Thanks for feedback everyone on the site has been really reponsive and it is really appreciated.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.