First week

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi everyone

I have just started taking Orlistat after reading about it on a medical site and asking my GP if I could try it. At weigh in I had already lost 4kg since December 09 so he was pleased to offer me Orlistat to try....I'm looking forward to losing more and really hope this will help me.

The problem I have is that I suffer with Chronic Spinal pain so exercise is very difficult, even walking can be so painful I cannot manage more than 50yds before the pain is so bad I have to stop....and that's with using crutches to take my weight as I walk!!

Has anyone used Orlistat and lost weight without exercise??....I eat a pretty low fat diet anyway so that isn't a problem to me and of course I slip now and again but have learnt not to beat myself up over it, its human nature to make the odd mistake so its best to just pick up from where you left off and ignore the mistakes smile

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

I'm not consciously exercising, just a bit more time walking the dogs, with your spinal problems I personally would ask the GP or a Physiotherapist the best way for you to exercise as I wouldn't want anyone to inform you incorrectly and make things worse for you.

My nurse has told me when sitting or just washing up to pull the stomach muscles in and hold as that would tighten up the muscles and the act of doing it does burn some calories.

• Posted

hi i have lost 9lbs in 4 weeks :D and i havent done any exercise except from my normal walking in my job as a playground supervisor, which some days is nothing at all, i have also lost 9.5 inches from all over my body, so it is well worth measuring and checking every 4 weeks or so, but i would also check with my gp or nurse, is swimming any good for you??

shelley xxx

• Posted

swimming is meant to be very good for you, good for weight loss, toning up, makes the heart stronger and is kind to your joints!
  • Posted

Thanks for your replies everyone...sadly swimming isnt helpful as I am riddled with arthritis and swimming aggravates it....I'm also a very bad swimmer! :lol:

My GP has now referred me for physiotherapy for my back, I'm not going to hold my breath that it helps but anything is worth a try and I know from past experience of it that it will take time to see results if there are any.

I'm beginning to experience slight stomach pain which I never had before, could this be the Orlistat??.....has anyone had this too??

• Posted

Mysty..... The optimum is to exercise but you must not do anything to agravate that back....even not exercising but sticking rigidly to the rules will get the weight off, albeit it will take longer, but I would be very surprised if, after a good weight loss your back doesn't improve. I was not in your pain but had a dicky back and now I have no problem....but the arthritis I have does limit the exercise a bit....I only walk.

All the best to you in your endeavours.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.