first week of 30mg on mirt

Posted , 4 users are following.

I was on sertraline and they did not work for me. My doc reduced the doze to 25mg and put me on 15mg of mirtazapine for two weeks I felt terrible. I had vivid dreams, panic attacks, very bad mood swings. And crying buckets. On speaking to my doc she told me to take diazepam 5mg for the really bad days and she upped me to 30mg mirt. I started them on Sunday but I know have sore joints does anyone else have this symptom? I am calmer but I think it's because of the diazepam?? Doc told me to hang on in there as mirt are so good for anxiety and depression. Am not sure what to do feel like am back at square one. Any help would be appreciated

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Hi

I'm at the same point as you are. Was taken of sertraline 100mg 6 days ago after 3 months as they gave me night mares panic attacks e.t.c. I woke up one morning having trouble telling nightmates from reality ended up taking diazepam 10mg. Then straight to the gp.

He took me straight of sertraline no tapering and straight on to 30mg mirtazapine.

The last week has been really good. I've been out to town on a Saturday night. Been to play snooker. Returned to work. I still have strange zombie filled dreams but when I wake up I feel fine. As opposed to a nervous wreck.

I'm waiting thinking any day now panic attacks will return the depression will return. But as yet nothing.

The only side effect for me is eating more and sleeping better.

Ok it's early days yet but I feel better than I ever did on sertraline. I haven't taken any diazepam since stopping sertraline either.

Hopefully you will feel better now your on 30mg.

I can't believe that the mirtazapine is working for me yet as it's only been a week.

I just think that the sertraline didn't agree with me.

Wishing you the best and hopefully this is the start of recovery for both of us

Rich

• Posted

Hey Rich,

Thanks for your reply. It's good to know we are not alone when sometimes we like we are.

Wishing you the very best and let me know how you go

Ali

• Posted

I have to laugh at how ironic life is at times.

I took my mirt early last night about 7 pm then ended going out didn't go to bed till 2am.

Woke up from a nightmare at 5am I was even telling myself in the nightmare to wake up. Laying there unable to move for 15 mins panic striken . Found the diazepam 😀 anyway 6am had finally calmed down. Then alarm at 7am time to goto work.

And I was just saying yesterday hadn't had a nightmare for a week lol. 😅😅😅

All the best Rich

• Posted

Hi Rich, what a shame you just never know the minute! Hope you are ok and have a better night tonight with no nightmares. I have now noticed the increase in my appetite (not good) went out today and bought lots of fruit so hopefully that will stop me going to the biscuit tin lol. This is now day 5 on 30mg and no diazepam today so that's something. At least your working I have been off work since Sept last year. On the plus side have started one to one counselling now so here's hoping talking about everything helps me.

All the best

Ali

• Posted

Hi Alibwil, I have had my first week on Mirtazapine 15mg to be upped next Monday, and tonight only after 1 week 3 days i have kind or achey ankle joints and a bit restless, But I usually would have cried in despair by now a hundred times or more and catatonic with it, So far I have been upbeat and positive since 3 days in and I do have cravings for foods I would never ever have eaten before, but I was borderline anorexic before possibly so an extra few pounds will not be the end of my world, I too have diazepam to sort of self medicate at my bad moments when i become overwhelmed about things, but like you I feel calmer and am able to just put one foot in front of the other instead of despairing about doing anything, everyone of the posts i have read are conflicting and i have came to the concluson that we as we well know are all different,  different courses for different horses, I seem to be a Mrt Horse and I am calmer than I have been in 15 yrs, I am hanging in there like your Doc has advised, and if the achey ankles get worse I will do more yoga. I know that this wont last for all my life, I will be able to cope one day but until then I am sticking with it achey ankles or not . Love n Light to you and anyone suffering from depression and anxiety x
    • Posted

Hi Carina, Thank you for giving me your experience of mirt. It's now day 5 on 30mg so I will hang on in there for the moment see how it goes. I see my go two weeks time.

Wishing you all the best.

Ali x

• Posted

I am not a fan of Mirtazapine because of the inevitable weight gain. Diazepam is also not something for long term therapy. your doc is hoping that with time, Mirtazapine starts to work. 

And I can say that Mirt made me feel better over night. Literally. One day to the next. No major side effects, just feeling like myself again. Then came the weight gain, so I had to look for something different. Since my psychiatrist wasnt of any help (why don't you want to take a med that makes you feel better? Answer: because it makes me obese and will give me diabetes II)

So I started taking Vortioxetine instead, plus Clonazepam for Anxiety, plus Wellbutrin as additional Antidepressant, plus Imovane for sleep.

Every Antidepressant takes a while to start and show their therapeutic effect. that's why docs want you to stay on it for a while. 

I started out with 10mg Vortioxetine and it didnt do much. 20 mg.... a bit better. Now being on 30 mg and in the 5th week since starting I feel pretty good and almost like me again. Without the weight gain. Without the anxiety (thanks to Clonazepam).... 

so.... ask your doc to change up the meds next time you see him/her. If it's your GP, make sure they understand HOW DEPRESSED you are! I have learned that if you dont make a fuss and cry a little, they think "it's not that bad".... wink

• Posted

Hiya Thanks so much for that good advice. I have noticed 5 days into 30mg of mirt my appetite has increased and it does terrify me. Am depressed enough without the weight gain!! I see her soon so will say to her. Diazepam I take for panic attacks which I don't get that often and it helps if my anxiety flares up.

Wishing you well

Ali

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.