First week on Orlistat and disappointed!

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi, I have been on SW plan for over a year and lost 10lb, yo yoing, I am 5 ft 8, and weigh 16st 10.3/4lb. I joined the gym 5 weeks ago and stuck as much as possible to the SW plan, but gained 5lb in the 5 weeks. last Monday (9 June) I started on Orlistat, drunk tons of water, kept up wiht excercising 3x week and eaten plenty of veg/fruit and healthy diet. I hva eweighed myself this morning and lost 1lb, I am so disappointed, disillusioned and actually quite desperate. The amount of time and effort I have put in does not reflect on the scales. What am I not doing right? Does it take time for the tablets to begin to work?  I have read on the forum, thsese people with huge weight losses, what are they doing that I am not!

I would really like to hear some of your views, particularly if you to have had similar difficulties.

Many thanks   

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

My advice to you is stick with it, have you taken body measurements? It is quite possible that with all your extra exercise at the gym you are converting fat to muscle. Muscle weighs heavier than fat but takes up less room so it is possible to lose inches but stay the same weight.
    • Posted

Hi, I have taken measurements, and lost 3 inches overall in the past 5 weeks. thankyou.

I have startde my chart afresh form last week so will be able to see the true effect of the medication over the coming weeks. I cant afford to give up so soon or even at all, as the impact on my health is taking its toll.

Whilst I am disappointed with the weight loss, my energy levels are much higher and I dont feel as sluggish.

hey ho s to another week

• Posted

Keep up the good work, it's the loss of inches that other people will notice and their comments will motivate you to stick with it.
  • Posted

Don't be disheartened I have been on them for nearly 4 weeks and have lost 5lbs (in 3 weeks) to date and was really disheartened and people kept telling me that it takes about three weeks to get into your system.  I am due to be weighed at docs again on Thursday and stood on my scales this morning and they are showing another loss of 4lbs, so keep at it, they do work.  I know how you feel though I felt like giving up in the first week as I only lost 1/2lb.  Good luck.

• Posted

Do you have a lot to lose Yvonne, I have about 3 1/2 stone to lose, I dont want  aquick fix but do want something to show for my efforts
    • Posted

I have 9 stone to lose, so yes I would say that's a lot.  I don't want a quick fix either, I'm in this for the long haul.
  • Posted

I put on in my first week I felt like absolute crap if im honest for the first 3 weeks. I lost 9lb in my first 4 weeks. Like you I was so disappointed at the beginning. I actually felt fatter than before I started!  but it does work as Ive seen! Im 5ft 4 and was 14st 10 to begin. 

give it 4 weeks before you lose faith xx 

• Posted

I felt the same, started the gym at the same time as the tablets and it feels like the weight isn't coming off, but like said keep measurements. Weight wise I have lost 4kg but inches I have lost over 4 and feel more energetic, but still need to lose another 20kg, so let's keep it up

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.