First week - please help - need reassurance

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi all

Please help.

4 years ago I had a bout of social anxiety and I was treated for this with CBT and citalopram, it worked wonders. I came off citalopram earlier this year (boy do I regret it) and the last 2 weeks I've had panic attacks in my sleep, barely getting 2 hours. A couple of nights getting no sleep whatsoever. I've gone back on citalopram and this is day 6. I am CONSTANTLY anxious about going to bed, and not sleeping. I obsess over it. I just don't know how to move forward.

I guess I'm wondering if anyone has had the same problem and did citalopram ever stop their night panic? With social anxiety you could expose yourself gently to anxiety inducing situations, but this is just going to bed, I can't avoid it. 

I have been give 7 zopcilone by the doctor and I'm desperately trying not to take them, they don't even really work. Have taken half the 2 past nights and got about maybe 3 hours each night? Still waking up in sheer panic.

Please can someone tell me this will get better. I really don't want to be put on any drugs I'll get addicted to. If I know some people have had the same experience and come out the other end, I'll feel reassured.

Thanks

0 likes, 20 replies

20 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi holly_t

I used to have really bad night time anxiety.  What I do now is listen to my favorite podcasts through the night.  They keep my mind focused, and then I fall asleep quite quickly.  If instead I am just listening to silence, my mind races, and I can't sleep.

I'm on week 3 of Citalopram.  I still have trouble with sleep.  If you are on week 2, you may also be still experiencing side effects which can include insomnia and heightened anxiety.

Are you currently doing any of your CBT exercises?  Can you tell me what worked for you in the past?  (I'm curious if the same exercises would help you now, but also hoping to learn about good techniques for myself.)

Best wishes - 

• Posted

Hi there

Thanks for this. I'm currently not practicing any of my CBT because it makes me more anxious. I've read some sleep CBT techniques and everything I try makes me feel very very anxious (medidation podcasts, writing a sleep journal). I just wish I could have some light relief, until the citalopram at least makes me feel a bit better so I feel strong enough to go into therapy again. At the moment I feel at rock bottom sad

• Posted

Hey holly do you have a fear of meds?

Cause i do an that alone sets off my anxiety

• Posted

Hi Laura

I don't no, just of meds that you can become addicted to like zopiclone. My mum has been addicted for years and they don't even work for her anymore but she still has to take them otherwise gets no sleep whatsoever. I don't want that to happen to me and neither does she - I feel so terrible for her.

x

• Posted

I understand.. that may be a fear that you have that your unaware of, it can cause your anxiety to become worse, of course there are many other things that can mess with at the same time...

Are you under any stress?

Ive had this since i was 17 an im 33 now

Trying to help smile

• Posted

You're being a great help thank you. Do you mean you've had anxiety or citalopram since you were 17? I actually feel really good right this moment (if a little numb) after feeling very anxious an hour ago.
    • Posted

I never took meds cause i fear meds however i do take diaizapam 5 but i only take half as needed
    • Posted

Ive had anxiety that long
  • Posted

I have been on Citalorpram 40mg for 11 yrs. have you thought of listening to a relaxation cd at night when you go to bed. I bought one of ebay and found it very helpful. I have been where you are so I understand completely.Just give the relaxation cd a try.

• Posted

Hi Holly! I feel for you i really do! Please calm yourself down and remember that you are never alone. Im on 40mg of Citalopram Due to depression and suicide thoughts, i went off my food, couldnt sleep and it got so bad that i wouldnt leave the house and freaked out if my partner left the room. Sadly the first 3 to 4 weeks on this medication causes your anxiety to go through the roof, i mean honestly. i thought the doctors were trying to kill me with them, but its natural, roll with the feeling. let it happen, as honestly nothing will happen to you, except you are feeling crappy but you will move on from it, slowly everyday you will notice your starting to feel better. I found that listening to LBC radio at bedtimes stopped my obssesive waiting for something bad to happen thoughts. Also running around my living room stopped my adrenaline turning into panic. I promise you will feel better, and slowly you will get confident. i feel you must have come off your tabs to early as you almost need to forget you ever had issue before you start weaning off them, its reseting your train of thought, this is essential to making the whole process work, but it does work xxxx
    • Posted

Thanks so so much kat80448.

Something weird has happened in the last 18 hours or so. I've felt totally...numb. After I posted this my anxiety was sky high I felt like I was on acid or something!! It was a crazy feeling. Then around 8pm, I started to feel reaaallly chilled and tired for the first time in ages. I just rolled with it. I took a tablet still just in case, but I got 7 hours sleep I couldn't believe it! I have felt no pangs ever since. I've 'searched' for the anxiety if that makes sense, to test myself, and although the thoughts come up, the physical feelings do not at all. It's bizarre! I am totally happy to stay this numb until cit is in my system properly!!

Thanks for your kind message. I feel for everyone on this site. My family and friends are so supportive, but just say 'but what's WRONG, something must be WRONG'. Still don't get it to a certain extent

xx

• Posted

Well done Holly_t,  This is good news!! It sounds like the Citalopram are kicking in, im not saying that there wont be any little misshaps however these feeling of panic will start to decrease now, and as long as you keep letting it happen, nothing will happen, until the point when you start to forget the feeling, as the citalopram blocks the panic nerves, Your on the road to recovery hun, dont rush into anything, take everyday as it comes.Life is about to begin again for you, like it did me xxx
    • Posted

Well after all that, I had a really good day on Friday and most of Saturday. Then I didn't sleep on Saturday night and have felt panicky pretty much since then sad I knew I wasn't necessarily going to feel better straight away but I feel so down today. Just want to feel the way I did 3 weeks ago before all this was triggered (although it was bound to happen sooner or later).

Can I expect a couple of good days, and then a bout of bad?

x

• Posted

Hang on in there hun, it doesnt stop overnight! but it does gradully get better! when you feel panicky just tell yourself its adrenalin, as it is! turn that rush you get into excitement, tell yourself you feel that way because your excited about something, and the best thing i ever did was start reading a good book, sad to say mine was 50 shades of grey but it stopped my mind thinking and waiting for the next feeling of panic, sleep deprivation wont help, so sleep whenever you can, and stay away from coffee and tea, this made me feel terrible, basically your mind is making you think that every feeling your having, be it hunger, tired, sleepy, turns into OMG something scarey is happening. Try and take control now, be strong, let the meds help you, and gain control of your mind! you are safe, and nothing is going to happen xxx
    • Posted

Thanks for your last message. I'm feeling really helpless at the moment sad the last 2 nights I've probably had abot 1.5 hours sleep. I don't know what to do with myself, it's started to make me feel really depressed which I wasn't before, only anxious. I've had to take the last 2 days off work and I'm now thinking I need to talk to my doctor about being signed off until I feel better. I just can't imagine how people function like this, if they have the citalopram insomnia. I'm hoping that's all it is, as I took zopiclone for about 7 days and stopped, I'm hoping I didn't become reliant on them. 

Just feel really down. I'm supposed to be moving in with my fiancee this month, I'm going on holiday next Thursday, and all I can think about is getting better sad just need a little reassurance.

xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.