First week trying to get off this stuff!

Posted , 7 users are following.

I am on my second go around for trying to get off the effexor. I have never had this problem with any other drug in my life. I am on a low dose of 37.5. I am going the every other day route to start this once again. I was almost off it in Feb and then the anxiety started. Have never had anxiety before taking these meds. It's a shame the doc's don't tell you this stuff up front!

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Is effexor citalopram or venlafaxine, i forget sorry, and I'm on venlafaxine, what's going on when you try come off? :-S

Danielle

• Posted

Hi Debra,

I hear ya! I tried once before as well. I felt so strange that I gave up, and waited another YEAR before trying again. This time I was determined to do it. I weaned down from 75 to 37.5 to 18.75and stayed there for 2 weeks. Then did the every other day for 2 weeks. I still had withdrawals once I stopped completely: sweating, dizziness, the dreaded brain zaps (worst thing ever), anxiety. It has been almost 4 weeks now and I still have the zaps and some anxiety at times. I will not let Ven win! I'm getting off it and never going near it again. Supplementing Omega-3 with Flaxseed Oil capsules has really helped debate the symptoms. I recommend it highly for Ven withdrawal victims. You may have to muscle through it at times, but getting off this drug is worth it. The symptoms will pass and you will be glad and proud that you stuck it out. Good Luck and know you are SO not alone.

Chad

• Posted

Hi Chad,please tell me what the dreaded brain zaps,what do they do and what do you do when you get them.I am on day 2 of comming off Ven so would like to know about symptoms pleaese,regards Sherri.Good on you for getting off too.
  • Posted

Hi Sherri,

OK, these are a bit strange. They seem to hit many people coming off Effexor. The best way that I can explain them is to imagine a mild taser to the brain. Not, make you fall or seize or anything like that, but the feeling of an electrical jolt that starts in your brain and then travels to your extremities. It really is one of the strangest and unsettling symptoms. I fear that when I talk about them it may scare people from coming off this drug but they are manageable. I'm serious, taking 1000mg Of Omega-3 daily really helps this. Just stick with it and be determined not to give in. Plus, believe it or not, you will kinda get used to them. Who knows, maybe you will be lucky and not even have to worry about them. I hope that for you. Good luck Sherri, here if you need an ear smile

Chad

• Posted

okay...here I am....second day , on ven last night....not tonight tho. I have dizziness...not able to sleep well....popping noise in my ear...aches in the joints....foggy brain. I do have heavy pollen here in the south...so it may be part of that also. Yesterday....had horrible headache....took migraine med...went away for awhile...but then returned. I feel anxious....and it is strange...because before I tool the drug I NEVER suffered from anxiety...only the "blues". I will not ever take any antidepressants ever again. Can't wait to get through this. Going on 1000 mg of omega 3 today.
  • Posted

HI and thanks to everyone for the info. Well its day 3 for me and no dose today,i am going out visiting today so hope this keeps my mind off the symptoms.i will also start the omega 3 with flaxseed oil.hope all others who are getting off the ven are doing well.keep on with the good work and i am thinking of you.cheers from Sherri
  • Posted

Hi Debra. I have recently stopped taking venlafaxine and what worked for me was NOT to space out the doses but to reduce the amount  until it's just a tiny crumb each day. Hope you are succeding.
  • Posted

Hi  I'm just on day 2 without venlafaxine. I had cut it down to 1/4 of 37.5mg twice a day. Was told by dr to go cold turkey. Oh boy are you all very true about the withdrawal symptoms. How does the omega 3 help with the symptoms? Am glad to hear am not alone in this difficult battle ahead. 
    • Posted

Hey  I found the Omega 3 very helpful with the funky brain feelings.  Dizziness and zaps seemed to be lessened quite a bit.  Give it a try, hopefully it'll help.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.