Fish oil

Posted , 7 users are following.

Has anyone noticed an improvement in their COPD after taking fish oil supplements? I believe I have noticed an improvement (I have mild obstructive disease). Fish oil seems to relieve some of the wheeziness.

1 like, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

I believe there is an improvement in breathing after I eat wild pacific salmon.

Could just be in my head, but think it does make a difference!   It's expensive

though so is only eaten about once a week.

• Posted

Chery, if you just google "fish oil COPD" you'll find there does seem to be some evidence for the improvement you've noticed.

I'd been taking it for a couple of years before COPD was diagnosed and still do, so I can't comment, but if it works, do it!   Along with all the other things one can do to manage COPD of course.

There's another non prescription substance which eases the breathlessness too, but I can't mention it here:  feel free to email me privately, anyone who's interested

• Posted

Hi Jude. Interested in the non prescription med. I am in Brisbane Australia. I have been advised to take Bisolvon by my physician. Over here that is also NON prescription. Wonder if we are talking about the same thing.

kind regards my friend

Tony.

• Posted

I'm in Victoria Australia and I haven't heard of that product, but it's not the name that's important - what's in it? 

KInd regards to you too

• Posted

PS, No that's not the one I was thinking of, it can't be mentioned on here because it's illegal
  • Posted

Will definitely get my husband started on supplementary fish oil capsules before winter starts. Last winter we were forever in and out of hospital visiting our very sick grandchild. He and I both used a harmless nasal spray (declared harmless by a popular doctor on TV) before leaving home as well as plenty of antibacterial gel on hands and he never contracted as much as a slight cold. I can give name of spray privately but please check with your COPD doctor before buying and using it. I am not a medical person so please get advice as what is good for one person might not be for another. We also use this before flying. First winter and spring without the dreaded complications. Husband's lung function is just 34 %.
    • Posted

That was excellent practice when going into such a disease ridden environment as a hospital!   I congratulate you and feel for your husband with such a low lung function - how is he coping?

The last time I was in hospital with pneumonia I was flabbergasted not only at the very unhealthy food but also at the dirty state of the toilets and the fact that the shower didn't work the whole time I was there.

A friend was telling me recently about her mother, with full private health cover and in hospital after a stroke:  a so-called nurse removed her bladder catheter, inserted a new one into her rectum by mistake, took it out and put it straight into her urethra AND THEN removed the patient's false teeth without washing her hands!  

This is a wealthy woman who's been able to afford the highest rate of private health cover for her entire adult life - what could happen to someone like me as a public patient doesn't bear thinking about ....

• Posted

That's great CheryH.

Fish oil also good to help protect bone health.

Bone thinning is something that can occur for some on long term steroids, particularly oral steroids, those who get quite a few exacerbations each year and have to take a course of steroids each time are more at risk.

I am taking fish oil myself, the only thing you have to watch is if you take a multivitamin as well, to be aware of possible doubling up on vitamin A.

NHS Choices on Vitamin A http://www.nhs.uk/Conditions/vitamins-minerals/Pages/Vitamin-A.aspx

Vitamin A is fat soluable so to help absorption good to take with fat, butter, live yoghurt, full fat milk, dinner with red meat, coconut oil etc.

Bes wishes V

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.