Fish oil

Posted , 3 users are following.

Were you asvised to take fish oil for blepharitis,dry eye,or MGD? If so what dose? Did it work,how long before it worked,and how did it help your condition or make it worse,thank you.

1 like, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Hi Lee, about a year ago I googled for info on bleph and amid lots of links was one for a medical paper on a clinical trial where patients were given 6000mgs omega 3 per day for a year. The results of this trial encouraged me to try it and it's helped enormously. It's best you look it up to check figures but the majority of patients reported significant improvement in their bleph symptoms. I also take daily antihistamine and use a microwave heated eye pad for ten mins morning and night followed by wiping each eye with wipes. I have my bleph completely under control and flare ups caused by interruptions in my routine I can deal with by getting back to my routine asap. It takes about a week/ten days for my eyes to calm down again.

• Posted

Sorry, forgot to say that omega3 offsets affects of omega6 which causes eye oils to thicken, apparently. I have bleph, MGD and photo sensitivity. I wear glasses with drive safe coated lenses which help enormously with harsh lighting in shops, restaurants, theatres and concerts....I also now sit much further back in theatres and at concerts to avoid the spotlights. Strobe lighting is a nightmare.
    • Posted

Hi pam,thank you for your reply,i was told 3000 mg. I used to take a low grade fish oil,now ive begun taking them again,better quality this time. I do think thay helped before. Do you know about how long before you noticed a difference?
    • Posted

I have all 3 that you have,not fun,thank you for the glases idea.Xx
    • Posted

Its starting to be allergy season here,i think the allergies make these eye problems much worse. My eyes get irritated easier. I imagine you have dry eye from the bleph and mgd. Might try an antihistamine although kind of worried could make my eyes dryer?
    • Posted

I noticed a difference within a couple of weeks with my eyes. As an extra bonus it's made a great deal of difference in strengthening my nails which had been splitting and peeling. Now they are much healthier and do not split vertically as they were. I checked the side affects of too much omega3 and they are nausea and diarrhoea, none of which I have experienced. I take four capsules in the morning and two at night. They don't repeat on me at all either.

• Posted

I had dry eyes s before I started taking the antihistamine. I use Carmellose eye drops morning and night too which suit me extremely well.
    • Posted

Glad you are doing well. I was in remission from late sept to feb. Now having some issues again. Fingers crossed i can get the control back,thanks again.
  • Posted

Thank you for kicking off this discussion.  I hadn't thought to try this and now I will.  Best regards, J.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.