Fissure advice needed please

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hello!

I've had an anal fissure now for about 18 months. It bleeds daily and I have tried GTN and diltiazem but neither have had any effect. My consultant has said that botox would be the next course of action but my hospital won't fund it. I don't really want surgery. What do I do next? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hey, I have been suffering from anal fissure for 7 months now to be precise. There have been weeks where I am completely healed but now again I am suffering from the replapse due to the first stool coming out as hard. I would recommend including a laxative everyday before bed time. Drink warm lemon water too before bed and the first thing in morning. This makes your bowel soft and squigdy. Avoid smoking and alcohol as much you can. Follow the regime of sitz bath regularly. After a healing of 2 weeks I have relapsed again today. I did a sitz bath with coconut oil which has helped relieve the pain. Take a pain killer and laxative to go through the day
    • Posted

Thanks, I have an added problem that I can't take laxatives as I have another gastro issue. Need to have more baths smile

• Posted

In that case where laxatives are not an option then include lots of fruits and greens to your diet. Drink lots of water, have nuts and take flaxseed before going to bed. All these will definitely help the stool to become soft. Good Luck.. hope u start feeling better soon
  • Posted

Go for fissurectomy. You will be fib in days. Anything else is not quite effective. Take it from me. See my thread on this called "Going for Fissurectomy Tomorrow, February 4th"

• Posted

In what case doctor recommended for fissurectomy? Did you try botox injection on the fissure?
  • Posted

I healed my fissure through anal dialion.  You can get anal dialators or simply use a lubricated finger to stretch the sphincter muscles.  I did it every 3 days for 3 weeks went back to the Dr. and he said that it was almost completly healed.  The pain was so bad I was willing to try anything (I had already tried a lot of other things).  This worked for me.  After researching why fissures will not heal, it is becasue the sphincter muscle is too tight.  That's what LIS surgery does is it loosens it up.   This along with keeping my stools soft by drinking lots of water and eating prunes and avoiding straining with bowel movements and lubricating before movements healed me in about 3 weeks.  Each time you do the stretch with your finger spend about a minute or 2 massages and stretching at top, bottom, and both sides.  Note:  the day after the muscles will be a little sore (just like any deep massage) but will get better with time.  

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.