fissure after hemmoroid surgery

Posted , 3 users are following.

in dec 2016 I had hemmoroid surgery and a fissure was repaired that was caused by the banding that the doctor did on my first visit.  (never had a fissure before banding so be really careful if you agree to banding as a quick fix.  Live with the hemmoroids.  Anyway, the surgery was horrible - long recovery time - finally caused me to get depressed.  I could go on a circuit and tell people not to have hemmoroid surgery.  I never got constipated because I never wanted anymore problems. About the time that I thought I had survived this nightmare, I developed what I was told was a fissure.  (by the way because of the pain from the banding procedure that was suppose to eliminate the need for surgery, the dr had to put me out to even examine me to see what happened.  While I was out she did the hemmoroid surgery and fixed 2 fissures (so she tells me) .  This was in Dec.  It is now May and I guess I have now developed another  fissure but this one is syptomatic. Never even heard of these before and sure didn't know they bled.  Constipation has been under control for months so don't know wlhy.   So - i am still living on miralax at night and using salve and coconut oil and dreading every bowel movement and seriously thinking about getting another medical opinion.  Someone comment on the botox procedure - heard weird things about that.  Was glad to hear that some of you that had surgery for fissures survived and were glad you had it.  Still gives me an option although after the hemmoroid surgery I said never again.  Thanks for all of your feedback - I hate this for you but at least know I am not the only one in the world.  I am older and no one I know has ever taked about having anything like this.  

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

Here are some suggestions I have for you to help you through:

1. Try somee zinc oxide in the form of calmoseptine which has menthol to soothe the area down there as well. Calmoseptine can be bought at almost any local drugstore and can be bought online too.

2. Try squatting when going on the toilet instead of sitting. This is a much  helathier position and the poop sometimes will just slide out,  no pushing or straining involved.

3. I would definately take a fiber supplement, specifically metamucil  is what I take evveryday,  in ordr to allow your stools to be soft and to allow them to pass thorugh easily. THis being said, with any fiber supplemetn, you must drink lots of water when using them, or they will not work veffectively. Also, do not take too much as too much fiber can irritate your bowels on the way  out and diarreah actually does worse down there.

4. I would recommend getting a sphicteronomy surgery if htings dont get better. I waited it out, gave up, had the surgery, and was able to heal within about two weeks. I had a chronic fissure, so I knew where you are ocming from with v all the pain and discomfort.

Try listening to music to distract your mind a bit, especially when going to the bathroom. If you are in writing pain, distract yourself with a movie or TV show right after. Also, to prevent myself from screaming and from putting more stress in the area down  there, i bit down on a washcloth in order to make the tensions with my teeth instead of my sphicter muscle.

So sorry you have to go through this. Hope you get better!

Best,

Myles

• Posted

Hi, Sharon,

You and I had a pretty similar experience. I had a hemorrhoidectomy at the end of Dec. 16 as well. I developed a fissure during recovery. Since I never had fissure before, I thought the pain was from the surgery. By the time the fissure was diagnosed, it was 4 1/2 month after my surgery.

How are you doing now? For a while, I seriously doubted if I could ever heal on my own, but I really did not want another surgery. Now at seventh month after hemorrhoidectomy, I am finally feeling better. I think if everything continues, I might heal. I hope you've healed or almost healed.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.