Fissure Cauterization

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi:

Has anyone had their anal fissure cauterized? I am over 4 weeks post-Botox and had my appointment with the CRS today. He says the Botox has helped to loosen the sphincter muscle and there is evidence of some healing. I am still having hours of pain after BMs (although it has lessened in intensity and duration) and he says it’s because the fissure is very large and deep. He does not recommend LIS since the Botox seems to have worked but he is recommending I have the fissure cauterized. He believes this will promote healing and reduce the pain. Anybody here had this done? If so, what was the recovery like? I have already taken so much time off work because of this thing. It seems never ending.....

Any insight would be greatly appreciated. 

Cheers,

Vuki

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi vuki

I believe your doctor is suggesting cauterization of sentinel pile or a skin tag associated with fissure. I had this procedure done. I had multiple sentinel piles. But i did not have fissure at th e time, 's i got this removed. I also had two haemorrhoids internal which were treated together with cauterization.

You will have painful BM. Cauterization means to burn the tissue either electrically or chemically.

My experience has not been good. I am on week 7 and am still healing. The wounds are not yet completely healed. These are the cauterization wounds.

One thing i can confirm is that it will cause pain during BM.

All the best with your procedure. You should discuss with your crs about pain management post cauterization. Go by what he suggests

• Posted

Hi new mommy, thanks for your reply. My CSR actually wants to cauterize the fissure itself and has advised against removing the skin tags as he says it will be VERY painful and it’s not worth it for something that is essentially cosmetic (his words). My GP commented that I should have them removed.  I’m going with what the CRS advises.  I have a lot of hemorrhoids but he doesn’t want to touch those either because they are not causing the pain and his concern is getting me to be pain free.  He said that the cauterization is usually done with LIS but since he says I don’t need that because the Botox seems to have done the job of loosening the muscle, he thinks cleaning up the wound by cauterizing it will help to promote healing since the fissure is so deep. I have this booked for 2 weeks from now and if I feel significantly better by then I will forgo this procedure. I really hope I don’t have to do it because I honestly don’t know how much more of this daily pain I can endure! I can’t deal with weeks more of recovery. 

Your recovery sounds like it’s been pretty terrible and I hope you feel much, much better very soon. 

Thanks again. Vuki

• Posted

I understand all the pain and confusion that goes along with an anal fissure all to well. The only permanent fix is to have a spyhcterrectomy, which is when they cut all scar tissue out and allows fissure to heal on fresh tissue, it is a quick surgery but full recovery is lengthy... but well worth it, if your tired of dealing with all the pains and all the medicines and all the mini procedures that dont work..Just go get it fixed and be done with the nitemare, because they do get worst...good luck to all.....
    • Posted

Thanks vuki

Yes removal of skin tag is painful. I had a large one so my proctologist has cut it. For the smaller ones he has left it as it is. go with what your crs says. Lis is not the only solution. Check out the site from David rosenfeld. Solution depends on your current situation and how you are recovering. As per him if botox works lis is not required.

• Posted

6 months and I still hurt after BM, seen the dr. Want give out pain med. Because of opioid epidemic... redistricting me at 56 to live in pain.

Don't want operations have 0 confidence in doctors and suggestions are welcome. I am on a vegetable diet and mirlax daily! Help me please...

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.