Fissurectomy

Posted , 5 users are following.

After suffering from a chronic fissure I ended up having the fissurectomy last Monday. I am 10 days post op and feel worse than ever. The first few days were fine and then the pain started coming on strong about the 5th day. I made the HORRIBLE mistake of taking pain meds w/o stool softeners (they were making me super sick) and by time I realized it has been 7 days without a BM. It was, as you can imagine, the most horrible pain finally going. It took 5 hours, stool softeners and milk of magnesium to go. I thought I was going to pass out from the pain. I am relieved from the stopped up pain, but I am terrified I messed some internal incisions going. I've been in horrible pain since I went. And now I'm extremely sore down there from continuously going from all of that medicine. The muscles inside have been throbbing non stop. Only thing that helps is hot baths. I am a teacher and did not have much time off so I went back to work a week after surgery and I am in agony all day. Does anyone have any suggestions? I've had kidney stones twice (so big they were stuck & had to be blasted) & nothing compares to the pain of a fissure or the recovery of having the fossurectomy surgery. Thanks in advance!!! 😊

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Hi Jennifer,

Take laxido every day without fail, keeeps everything soft. Also get some dulcolax liquid and take if laxido doesn't give a daily result after taking for four days.

Once you get into a routine things should calm down.

I think your pain now is just post op and should gradually wear off as long as you keep on top of bm's.

Drink a lot of water in this heat. Good thing is that it's half term, maybe you went back to work too early, and could have done with another couple of weeks to recover.

• Posted

Thank you!!! I have been taken stool softeners like crazy and it's been helping. It doesn't hurt going at all now. My only problem now is that after I go it's a dull throbbing pain for HOURS. I was up until 5 am with it. Ice & heat do not. It's making me horribly nauseas. It gets worse at times goes on too. It will feel manageable for the first hour & then it's full on throbbing the next 5 or 6 & no way to have relief. I will probably end up calling The doctor because he said I should be feeling better by now but I am not. The pain with the fissure was horrible - it was a sharp shooting pain, this is dull constant & I can't figure out what's worse. Thankfully we only have 2 days of school left then I am out for the summer so I can rest properly.

• Posted

Oh no you should not be in that much pain. I had my lateral sphincterotomy on New Year's Eve and was in pain for about a week and then it generally got better . You need to contact your doctor and let them know what's going on . Best of luck to you I hope you feel better soon

• Posted

Thank you!!

Did you have a dull throbbing pain after you went? Fortunately taking stool softeners has helped with the pain while going, but the dull constant pain for hours after I go is unmanageable. I was up until 5 am with. It's horrible & nothing gives me relief. My ice or heat or medicine. I will have to call the doctor tomorrow to figure out what is going on.

• Posted

Here are some suggestions I have for you to help you through:

1. Try somee zinc oxide in the form of calmoseptine which has menthol to soothe the area down there as well. Calmoseptine can be bought at almost any local drugstore and can be bought online too.

2. Try squatting when going on the toilet instead of sitting. This is a much  helathier position and the poop sometimes will just slide out,  no pushing or straining involved.

3. I would definately take a fiber supplement, specifically metamucil  is what I take evveryday,  in ordr to allow your stools to be soft and to allow them to pass thorugh easily. THis being said, with any fiber supplemetn, you must drink lots of water when using them, or they will not work veffectively. Also, do not take too much as too much fiber can irritate your bowels on the way  out and diarreah actually does worse down there.

4. I would recommend getting a sphicteronomy surgery if htings dont get better. I waited it out, gave up, had the surgery, and was able to heal within about two weeks. I had a chronic fissure, so I knew where you are ocming from with v all the pain and discomfort.

Try listening to music to distract your mind a bit, especially when going to the bathroom. If you are in writing pain, distract yourself with a movie or TV show right after. Also, to prevent myself from screaming and from putting more stress in the area down  there, i bit down on a washcloth in order to make the tensions with my teeth instead of my sphicter muscle.

Hope this helps!!!

Best,

Myles

• Posted

Thank you so much for taking the time to write that out for me! I went and got fiber pills directly after! I have been trying your suggestions and the pain seemed to get worse and worse. I finally went back to the doctor & told them to check again. Sure enough they said the area the cut the fissure out of did not heal correctly so the fissure is back. They did not want to upset me too much yet, so we are going to try some powerful compounding cream to help heal the area and losen up my muscle. They said it's too early to tell if the surgery was unsuccessful, but also late enough to have concern. If this medication does not work it looks like I will have to have another surgery that has a higher risk for not being able to control the bowels. I'm very discouraged. The last thing I want is another surgery. But you, along with anyone who has had a fissure, know the pain is unlivable. So if surgery is necessary I will have to do it.

• Posted

Hi Jennifer, 

So sorry to hear that none of my suggestions worked. Anal fissures are so hard to deal with, physically and mentally.

If you do go for the second surgery, I hope it goes well. So sorry you have to deal with this.

Best,

Myles

• Posted

Keep me updated on how you are doing!
  • Posted

Hi jenni....i am suffering from AF for 2 years...in start they were horrible bleeding pain spasm...but after a year i managed them.but it was temprory relief...so i went for fisseractomy a month ago ...i m 80% fine now..now bleeding no pain bt smtym inflamation and itching..even after soft stool.

Try this

1.wake up and drink one litre water slowy but drink when yiu sit...drinking is not gd wen standup.

2.then drink a cup of coffe wd only 2 biscuit..it wil simulate ur instantine...go for a loo but dnt push it hard...wait ..

3.after bowl ....sit in warm water for 15 min ...nd clean ur anal area gently...mix the water with coconut oil.

4..then tak a warm bath and dry the anal area and apply licodine nifedipine cream....brand name ano relief....use finger glove so that u can put cream inside easily.

4...eat ur breakfast ...papaya wd black pepper.powder over it...as much as u can

5.take ibufren ...donot take tylenol it causes constipation...

6 .do ur work ....go outside..dnt use ur bycylcle or bike ...

7.lunch wd salid...cucumber no rice no nonveg no fried food...use wholegrains ...boiled vegetable...curd...buttermilk...any fruit...and take an oflaxasin tablet it is an antibiotic ...useful to prevent infection..

8.at eve do warm sit bath again wd coconut oil .nd apply cream.

9.wen go for bed...apply the cream again..and take lactulose syrup...3sppon wd water...

10.u hv to drink 5 litte water in a whole day.

11.do exercise ...

12.dnt sit and think bad abt ur health...

13.b realax and go outside for walk after dinner..u hv to stick wd it for a month...

14..u can drink olive oil wen u wk up 30 min before drinkin water.

15.dnt stop urge to go for aBW...if u feel pain tk a pain killer b4 bowel ..so u can go fr it easily...

Hope it wil hlp u

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.