Fissurectomy and hemorrhoidectomy

Posted , 7 users are following.

6 days ago I had a 2 anal fissurectomy and one hemorrhoidectomy, requiring cauterization and stitches. I consulted with the Proctologist, she made it seem like it was very routine and something that is quite common. I have never known anyone to have one. He said they would put me under general anesthesia and it would be over in about 30 minutes. We didn't really have any discussion about post-op expectations. The huge mistake on my part. The last six days have been pure hell. I did make it to work one entire day, and by the time I got home I regretted every moment of it. Every BM is worse than the last one, and they all look like something out of the scene of the movie Carrie. And I typically need to sleep for an hour and a half after 8 p.m. It is painful and exhausting. I scream and cry like a child just to make it through each bowel movement. I feel so depressed and defeated hearing that it takes people months and months and months just to get back to normal. I was really hoping those were just uncommon responses, but I fear that that's not typical instead of the exception. Has anyone had a more positive experience, and if so what did you do to get through it?

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Hey

I'm sorry to hear about this happening to you it is a very painful experience more then one could imagine. I just got over mine and fortunately it did not take me more then two weeks to get over it I don't know how serious yours is but this is what I did for it to heal. I went to Walgreens and purchased magnesium citrate. It makes your stool liquidy and easier to pass in return giving the anus more time to heal because every time you go it opens up the cut I drank it for two days and changed my diet and n three days it was cured I've keep my diet up with fruits and vegetables and also drink a lot of water I hope this helps.

• Posted

Hey Kinsey

I'm sorry to hear things aren't going well for you. I am not sure exactly what you had done but I know from experience even small issues in that area are very painful never mind what you have gotten.

Research some vitamins, magnesium is a good one as terrace has said although I take the tablet format and it helps. Zinc is great for healing as is Arnica, coq10 and milk thistle. Do some research online on those vitamins.

Today I am going for an open ligation h'ectomy...that's what my letter states and I don't fully understand it! Google hasn't helped either! But I know I have 2 skin tags and a haemorrhoid to get removed but I don't know what open ligation means. I don't get a lot of time with my consultant as I'm sure is the same with everyone nowadays!

Oh also have a look at bone broth...try to make your own or buy it if you aren't able to make your own. It is great for my digestion. Good luck

• Posted

Thank you Em. And good luck with your procedure. I'd like to hear how it goes.

• Posted

Unfortunately your reaction is not uncommon.  You need to totally recalibrate your expectations.  You need to take some time off work to give yourself a chance to get into a cycle that can work for you and get your head under control.  You must maintain contact with the doctor that originally referred you for surgery, or the surgeon who did the operation.  Go back and see them and ask them if it seems to be recovering well.  If the pain is extreme, they do have the option of putting you on a morphine-type drug like they give to cancer patients, but obviously you aren't going to be able to go to work.  Get into the cycle of eating much less but much higher nutritional value food, one BM in the morning, clean ass with wipes NEVER toilet paper, straight into bath, combination of aspirin and paracetomol, have an i-pad or something ready with TV shows so you can stay in bath for 2-3 hours.  When out of bath apply lidocaine to ass, which is a numbing agent that I found helped a lot (my doctors refused to give it to me until I started calling them up and screaming at them, make sure you get it, it is prescription only for high power in excess of 4% but for less than 4% I believe it is OTC in the US, it is branded Xylocaine, but suggest you get a prescription).  DO NOT SIT ON ASS, if you have to go to office then set up your desk or whatever so you are standing.  So you might need to totally change your cycle so you go to bed at 8, wake up at 4, do the BM and bath cycle, be out of house by 7 to go to work.

I also had an awful reaction similar to what you are describing, for me, I didn't have to go to work so to kill the pain I drank half a bottle of vodka a day for 3 weeks, and lay down with legs locked together for 7 hours or so post-BM.

Another option is to reverse your cycle so you don't BM until after you have finished a day at work, e.g. BM at 7pm, bath for 2 hours, then take sleeping tablets.  By the time you wake up you should feel in a lot less pain.

• Posted

Thanks Graham! I'll look into your recommendations (except for the vodka wink

Im open to any new experience

J

• Posted

Try eating apple slices with the skin on.  Let it heal.  I've never had surgery and never want to.  I do understand the knifes and sharp glass pain and carrie movie scene when you go.  I'm so sorry for your pain.  Really though, apple slices with skin heal me every time.

• Posted

So sorry you are going through this.....And yes, unfortunately many people go through this for a long time. However, it is possible to have it shorter. In my case, I had a chronic anal fissure. I gave up trying natural remedies after about 6 weeks and got the sphincteronomy surgery. After 2 weeks post surgery, I was back to my normal routine. Of course, the world seems a bit different after being in pain for so long, but it was a lot better than before.

Here are some suggestions I have for you to help you through:

1. Try somee zinc oxide in the form of calmoseptine which has menthol to soothe the area down there as well. Calmoseptine can be bought at almost any local drugstore and can be bought online too.

2. Try squatting when going on the toilet instead of sitting. This is a much  helathier position and the poop sometimes will just slide out,  no pushing or straining involved.

3. I would definately take a fiber supplement, specifically metamucil  is what I take evveryday,  in ordr to allow your stools to be soft and to allow them to pass thorugh easily. THis being said, with any fiber supplemetn, you must drink lots of water when using them, or they will not work veffectively. Also, do not take too much as too much fiber can irritate your bowels on the way  out and diarreah actually does worse down there.

5. I would recommend getting a sphicteronomy surgery if htings dont get better. I waited it out, gave up, had the surgery, and was able to heal within about two weeks. I had a chronic fissure, so I knew where you are ocming from with v all the pain and discomfort.

Try listening to music to distract your mind a bit, especially when going to the bathroom. If you are in writing pain, distract yourself with a movie or TV show right after. Also, to prevent myself from screaming and from putting more stress in the area down  there, i bit down on a washcloth in order to make the tensions with my teeth instead of my sphicter muscle.

Hope this helps!!!

Best,

Myles

• Posted

So sorry - this is a nightmare I know.  I am on wk 3.  I had heard horrible things about a hemmroidectomy so got 2 opinions from 2 colon doctors - 1 was to do the hemmorectomy and the other said "you don't need that, 60 seconds and it will be over here in the office. Then go have a nice Thansgiving.  This was the beginning of hell.  I couldn't get examined after the banding because the pain was so bad so finally after a month her nurse called and said she is going to put me in outsurgery to sedate me to take a look at what was causing problem.  By now, after lots of research, etc I had determined that from the banding I got a fissure. Now the tissue might have been tender due to previous hemmoroid problems (40 yrs but not much) but whatever after the banding this became a nightmare situation.  So, I agreed to be examined under sedation to see what was going on.  I asked her nurse exactly what she was going to do and the answer was I don't know.  Well, I ended up with a fissure repair and 2 hemmoroid removals.  One causing me problems had been removed previsously thru banding so I don't know why we did the other 2 - maybe because we were already working in the area.  I saw the dr for maybe 2 to 3 seconds after returning from surgery and said "what was going on?"and she said all is fine, we fixed it all.  Then I was turned over to a nurse for the next hour until I went home with a couple of prescriptions and "good luck."  Never would I even suggest someone have this.  I suppose I am a little better - at least I can sit without pain but there are still some other issues that I don't get any answers to but wait - it might be 6 to 8 weeks to heal the swelling.  Today as soon as I finish this note to you, I am going to ask for a complete report on  this surgery so that I have something to give my general dr and my gastro dr - meanwhile my understanding is this is not an easy surgery.  In fact, this particular doctor asked me "who told you that you needed hemmoroid surgery? You don't want to do that, I promise you, it's pretty awful."  Then - a month later she did surgery on me.  She has great credentials....studied at Mayo...so I guess I will survive and eventually get thru this.  I have had a hysterectomy, gallbladder surgery, broken bone surgery, and an unbelieaveable amt of horrible tests over the years and this has by far been the worse.  Hang in therel....my research says "this too shall pass" but my heart goes out to you."  I don't work and have no idea how I could have gone back to work in 5 - 10 days or now for that matter but you sound young and youth pops back faster.  Live in the bathtub....it helps. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.