Fistula success story

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hello all!

Last November i had a huge abscess in the perinanal region ,it one of the most painful experiences of my life . This developed into a fistula that was relatively high and passed through quite a large preportion of the sphincter muscle so my consultant couldn't perform a fistulotomy and instead inserted a drainage seton . It really hindered my life and what made it worse was that I couldn't find many success stories online that it would even get better (just hundreds of people saying how long they have had the condition for and it wasn't improving) I am very active and like to excersise every day but with the seton it was very tricky indeed (but not impossible) anyway I promised myself that as soon as I was fixed I would post on this board and here I am ! After the drainage seton was removed it was replaced with a Cutting seton which cut through within 7 days and voila ! It was fixed . The whole process took 9 months and it was a long drawn out affair but I'm pleased I am out the other side ! Anyway I just wanted to share to give people hope that it is quite common for it all to be ok and time and a good consultant is all that it takes 

Kind Regards

Rossyboy1 

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Congratulations Ross! Had a seton placed a month ago and look forward to next stepslol ALthough I know it will take timecry.

So far the seton does not bother me that much other than the draining...I still do sports and stuff. 

Why did it take 9 months for you and not less?

• Posted

Thanks Ross. I was actually jogging the next day following the seton placement! maybe I am one of the crazy few who have done it but my CRS told me no problem.

• Posted

Hi Rossy

I have Seton placed for 3 weeks and surgeon said after 6 weeks I can remove Seton or place plug.

Is it mandatory to have plug or removing Seton will help ?

Why did you choose cutting Seton after Seton removal?

I'm confused on what to do next .

• Posted

I'm in similar to your situation. What you decided ? Going to remove Seton or having plug ?

• Posted

Congratulations Ross. Your success story has given me hope. Thank you for sharing. I have a Fistula-in-ano for the past one & a half years without medical or surgical intervention. Since I couldn't stand reoccurrence of abscesses anymore, I decided to seek surgical remedy. My surgeon recommended a Seton stitch insertion of which I agreed to.

It has been 3 days since the seton was inserted. The experience is painful. More painful than the monthly abscess drainages i used to experience. I wonder how I will survive for months with this seton.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.