Fistula surgery fears

Posted , 3 users are following.

It was scary when I first got my abscess my GP said it is the size of a golfball, it appeared in a week!! Then I was on strong antibiotics for three days before emergency surgery, then I had the wound packed every other day for 4 weeks, It healed too quick on the outside so i was left ith a 5mm pocket so had to have it reopened and they made the incision bigger though there was no infection. It was packed everyday then for the next six weeks,, now a year later, i have a small hole right in the middle of the incision wound and a small hemorrhoid like lump right on my bottom. Think it's a fistula. sooooooo worried about incontinence. Read that they stick a probe through the fistula to perform the surgery - it sounds brutal and barbaric and what if the probe causes a false tunnel? Does the seton hurt? will waste come out through the seton and surely a big wound in your bottom is dangerous with lots of germs about.. I'm rather worried to say the least.

I'd be devastated to be incontinent, I'd never go out

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Feeling scared to see my Gp - i know i may have fistula but scared of the surgery it's making me worried a lot

• Posted

Hello

Best to go get checked Tulip you never know it might put your mind at rest. Let us know how it goes please.

• Posted

Thanks! I'm rather worried so I will hopefully be able to see my GP (so hard to get an appointment) to put my mind at rest...

• Posted

If necessary tell the receptionist it's an emergency, if your consultant thinks it's to close to the sphincter they will not go any where near it. I have unfortunately and very unluckily had my peri anal wound for nearly 4 years. It just won't heal for some reason. I have had 5 surgeries now, the last one a couple of months ago was to remove my labia, because it had tunnelled through to my vagina. This IS NOT a scare story I promise you, the point I'm trying to make is that it doesn't cause infection in that area as long as it is kept very clean. I have honestly read thousands and thousands of articles on it that make it sound like a horror story, but I promise you, nothing is as bad as it sounds. Just go to your G.p and ask him to refer you back to your consultant. I was lucky when I was taken in, a top colorectal Dr was on call and he remains to be my surgeon now.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.