Fistulatomy Post Op pain

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi everyone,

I had a fistulatomy about 6 days ago. The pain has been mostly manageable, except after a bm - I feel like I might pass out!! My routine has been to get immediately in the bath after, which seems to bring things back down, and then after I get out I use the topical numbing stuff. But I have to work tomorrow and and all week long. I'm afraid of the pain if I have a bm at work. Has anyone found anything to ease the pain besides a bath? I'm taking the metamucil and things are plenty soft. I can only take IBuprofen for pain, since I can't work or drive (or parent) on the hydrocodone. Oh and I do not have chron's if that makes any difference.

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

Birdie it seems like ur having wat im having. After going to the toilet im having pains in my anus very strong one even struggle to walk. Probably the only solution for fistula seems its operation
    • Posted

I had a fistulatomy, and it has been okay. I only missed a couple days of work, although it would have been nice to take a few more days. I say don't be afraid of the operation...since that really is the only option. I resigned myself that no matter what happens that I would simply deal with it.

• Posted

I had an abscess but where my scar is there is a small hole. worried it's a fistula..... woried about incontinence... did you have a seton put in? are you from UK and long did you have to wait for surgery. how long did you have off work? 

• Posted

I did not have a seton, my surgeon would only have done the seton if my fistula was too high or seemed like I had inadaquate muscles (both of which increase the risk of incontinence). She was able to do the fistulatomy, so the nice thing about that is after I heal I might be good to go!!
  • Posted

How did you get on Birdie786? Not easy having to go back to work if you are still in pain. Your GP should be able to prescribe something but take care as some of these pain killers can be very addictive. I couldn't work as I have Irritable bowel syndrome aswell so can't take the pain meds, it made things doubly painful. But I did as you did, used the shower head regularly and complete bed rest. Boring but meant the wound healed quicker.

• Posted

After doing fistulotomy operation what must i expect or what must i use for healing and pain. I think they put seton and give me another date to come back
    • Posted

Hello, It is hard to understand what is going on isn't it? The surgeon is so busy and doesn't have the time to properly explain everything that happened and it is also hard to know the right questions to ask. First thing I would do once you feel up to it, is call the hospital again and ask the for the surgeon or their secretary to explain exactly what happened during your surgery. A good surgeon will recognise you need to understand what took place and what happens next. In the UK the hospital give you pain medication to take after the operation. A doctor is best to advise you what to take, in the UK they give you paracetamol to take away with you enough to last for at least a week. I had a seton inserted into my fistula to keep the wound open so it could drain properly and had to go back for a further investigation after three months. Did they pack your wound? Will a nurse repack it for you each day for at least a few days? The first couple of weeks I tried not to move, as much as possible, not easy as life must go on but it does help the wound to heal so personally I would recommend this. Like you I washed after each bowel movement. Using the shower to clean the area then used salt and water morning and night when I could move a little more. I also ate lot and lots of veg, my immune system improved and I was then able to fight off the infection more easily. But I am just talking about me here, everyone is different and we can never be sure what caused the abscess in the first place. You have just had a major op, concentrate on resting and getting better.

• Posted

Just wanted to give an update. Today is 2 weeks post fistulatomy and I am completely off pain meds!! I went for a short 2 mile run today and it wasn't entirely terrible!! I am very happy to report this progress, it was strange because the pain improved markedly overnight around day 12 post op. If this thing heals like it should I may get my life back!! Looking forward to complete healing and hopefully a a good report from my doc in a couple of weeks. Fingers crossed smile

• Posted

Wooow Birdie i am happy for you its good feeling to get back to normal. I miss jogging, yoga wish my life will b back to normal. I done my fistulotomy 4 days ago im taking pain medication doing lots of sitz bath n wound cleaning after bowel. Now what is painful when i go to toilet im in constipation its very sour i struggle to get feaces out. Thats only problem i have i do take dried prunes, drink water n lacson bt i hope i will b fine soon. So tell me Birdie what you did to speed up the healing process cause on the 31 Oct i must be at work

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.