Fistulotomy performed 12 weeks ago. Worried about persistence/reoccurrence

Posted , 1 user is following.

I had a fistulotomy performed 12 weeks exactly today. Pain wise, the ordeal was not bad at all. Mentally, it has been the hardest thing I've dealt with in my life. I'm a 22 year old healthy Male so it has been hard to cope. Anyways, the surgery was performed at a swedish hospital by a very experienced colorectal surgeon and a fellow general surgeon specializing in crs. My fistula was very low and only absessed twice before I decided on surgery. The wound wasn't very deep and a fistulotomy was performed. The fistula had another very small tract without an external opening. The wound healed fast, maybe too fast as much of the external wound was healed on about 3 or so weeks after the CRS applied silver nitrate and acknowledged that it was healing a little too fast. He said this took care of it. Fast forward to week 12 and everything is healed except the innermost portion that can only be seen by spreading in the mirror. My drainage is very very small at this point and is only dots on tissue if I shove some up in that area to check. The dots are clear for the most part. I'm worried and wonder if the tiny amount of drainage is normal or persistence/reoccurrence. I also worry when I feel the external scar because it feels sort of cord like but doesn't swell up or have external opening. At week 9 my surgeon said I was "healed" although I know the most internal part is still healing. (Hopefully). I'm having another appointment in three weeks to ensure that I'm not experiencing reoccurrence. Does anyone have any experience with fistulotomy and or re occurrence?

1 like, 0 replies

0 Replies

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.