Fistulotomy with j pouch

Posted , 2 users are following.

I've had a j pouch for years now, so using bathroom 10 times a day is nothing. Recently had a fistula. Tried a plug to save my muscle but it failed within 3 days from using the bathroom so much. The pain made me want to die.

so a week later ended up have a fistulotomy done and was very surprised that the pain was nothing.

but now a little over a week later I'm having intense pain and burning using the bathroom from poop going straight into my wound.

even sitz baths or using the shower won't get it clean and I have to use baby wipes in my open wound.. very painful

any tips to try and keep my wound clean, I'm terrified to use the bathroom and barely eating...at this rate it's never going to heal

0 likes, 1 reply

1 Reply

• Posted

Try putting a little Vasoline at the edge of the fistula wound, closest to the anus to help keep waste out of the wound. After my fistulotomy a couple of months ago, I would also take some toilet paper and hold it over the wound while I was having a bowel movement. It was a little awkward but it helped protect the wound. I also bought portable bidet bottles from Amazon, that are like squirt bottles that rinse out the wound. Also get a stool or something to elevate your feet when using the toilet, to make it easier to go. The wound should heal up enough in a couple of weeks and not be a problem any more. Not eating to avoid having bowel movements wont help, but will make things worse. Hope this helps.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.