Fitness bands etc

Posted , 11 users are following.

With these things becoming more and more popular, surly there's one out there that's great at monitoring the heart rhythm and Bpm ? Is there not one that's aimed at people with heart issues ? I'm sure it would be of great benefit to sufferers of AF (for peace of mind atleast) and the data generated would be great to pass on to medical professionals if anyone took a turn for the worse or swapped meds ? Used alongside a food diary could prove very useful to spot any triggers ?

1 like, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

I do believe that there is an App called Kardia that has been specifically designed to identify AF and other irregular heartbeat conditions.

It connects to an iPhone or IPad and has been medically approved!

• Posted

Chi, just checked. Korda out  sounds good  but it only works with Apple ,I have Samsung, would anyone know if there's an app for my phone ? 

• Posted

Hey Steve,

I have an Apple Watch and use cardiogr.am

P.s. how you doing since your ablation?

• Posted

The only problem with Apple is - if by any chance you have any account issues, Apple will not give your account any priority for having heart monitoring. I have alivcor and find it very good. Annoyingy i used my apple phone as its base... due to slipping up on the password i was waiting over 30 days to get my account unlocked, the view of apple was tough go to hospital andwaitfor us to unlock you account - quote... keep your passwords written down and handy.
    • Posted

I'm doing really well thanks don, I've been signed off by my eep and I'm on no meds at all so I'm hoping for many years free of af 🙏 Or atleast five years so I can get health insurance without declaring my af history 😂

• Posted

Hi Steve yes I have a fitbit type and I LOVE it. I use it every day to monitor any changes. Get one it's worth it for sure.

• Posted

Fitness bands detecting oulse rate. ECG detects the heart rate. The two rate is equal if you are healthy. If you have arrhytmias the is not equal. The data of fitness band in this case might be missleading. That is why a lawsuit filed against the fitbit (http://edition.cnn.com/2016/05/20/health/fitbit-accuracy-questioned/) .

Moreover the ECG criteria of aFIb are:

- arrhithmia

- lack of P wave

- presence of f waves (trembling of baseline)

- tachicardia.

That is why ECG is needed for diagnosing and monitoring aFib.

Here is the demonstration of the pulse deficit. As you kan see, the ECG displays much more R wawes, than the presure curve registered peripheral pulse wawes:

• Posted

Oh for sure there is a difference however for the average person who just wants to monitor the rate and not the physiology of a fib or a flutter it is a easy device to have on hand. Sometimes simpler is better.
  • Posted

Hi Steve if you just want to monitor pulse there is a free app called cardiio I downloaded it earlier this week for my iPhone I get fast heart rate with my AF so wanted something to hand to monitor it 😄

• Posted

Fitbit, Apple Watch, and probably some other bands will do just fine at telling you if your heart is beating 75bpm or 175bpm. That's all you really need. You can get that Alivecor thing but that is not something you wear all day, you just use it if you suspect something's wrong.

• Posted

Hi Steve

You can buy a simple but accurate finger pulse oximeter similar to the ones they put on you're finger at the doctors or hospital for £20 - £30 in Argos or online at amazon or eBay.

They measure you're pulse and blood oxygen saturation.

I ended up buying the one at Argos, £30 and pops in a shirt chest pocket easy.

Hope this helps :-)

• Posted

Thanks for all your input guys - I've certainly got plenty to look into now 👍

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.