Five half weeks post TKR

Posted , 5 users are following.

Happy Easter everyone. I am five and a half weeks post TKR. Have been walking up to a mile a day have got over 100 bend can get good straight. It seemed as if I woke up at four weeks and things just got better. 

However today my knee has been very stiff in spite of exercises, I have been very cold had a  headache and generally  not feeling very well but nothing specific, I have slept on and off nearly all day.( I have found it difficult to stay awake. ) I am now in a lot of pain in my knee and hip. Area is not hot. 

I have taken pain meds and have iced but nothing seems to help. Has anyone any ideas. 

1 like, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Have you taken your temperature? Possibly a little onset of a cold or upper respiratory problem. 1st thing would be checking your temp then a couple of tylenol, some hot soup, tea or coffee, lots of fluids and plenty of rest. If you aren't better by tomorrow, a call to your doc.
    • Posted

Hi temp normal. 

I will see gp or someone at surgery tomorrow if no better. Just to rule out infection?

i hope you are feeling better I have followed your journey and your attitude to all the problems you have faced is inspirational. 

• Posted

Thanks so much.........sometimes traveling a bumpy road makes you appreciate the smooth ones all the more. Hopefully another 90 days of bumps and I'll get on one of those long, straight smooth super highways.

Hope you get to feeling better soon. That's the problem with this surgery, just when you think all is well, something else pops up. At your stage, I wouldn't think you would need to worry about infection in the knee but even a onset of a head cold can make you miserable for a few days

• Posted

Hi Louise, as the wise Oldfatguy says, it could be the start of a virus or headcold. I'd just like to say that when I was at your stage I was still taking strong painkillers and getting very tired. You've done really well walking up to a mile a day but your aches and pains could be your body telling you to slow down a bit! You need to get rest as well as keeping the exercise up. I found it was 3 months or more before the tiredness lessened. Hope you feel better soon anyway.

Jen (8 months post op) 

• Posted

Thank you Jennifer, hubby has told me to slow down but I just want to be normal again, I feel a little better today still tired even though I slept all night! 

I also for the last week, started to walk up the stairs properly one foot in front of the other, I only do this once a day as it is so hard.

when does the swelling go. At end of day my leg and foot are still twice as big,

i think today will be a rest day to give my body time to catch up. 

Are you pleased you had the TKR now? 

• Posted

I think I've learned from this great forum, Louise, that everyone is different. I don't remember when the swelling subsided. I don't think it was as much of a problem for me. Ice and elevation is the best treatment for it though. I've also learned that the healing is a very long, slow process so you do have to be patient in my experience. Be prepared for bad days after good days. I was expecting to improve steadily from day 1 but it's. Much bumpier ride than that I'm afraid. 

Yes, I am glad I had it done. I had an additional problem with a tight piriformis muscle (in the buttock) which causes pressure on the sciatic nerve. This has bothered me more than the knee over the last few months. It's gradually getting better though. I'm walking so much better now than pre op though and that was why I decided to have it done. So, keep your chin up, keep up the exercises (vital I believe) and be prepared for the ups and downs and you too will be glad you had it done too.

Jen x

• Posted

Having seen the other replies I agree it could either be the start of an infection or your body saying take it easy remember to take a nap whenever you can to recharge

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.