FIXED DRUG ERUPTION ON THE PENIS DUE TO NAPROXEN ?????

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hey guys,

I am 35yo, a healthy individual with no underlying conditions other than the one described here.

Long story short:

• 15.02.20: last sexual activity.
  • 25.02.20: started taking Codeine (2x30mg 4 times a day) Naproxen 500mg and Omeprazole – these were prescribed to me by GP – injured muscle.
  • 26.02.20: spotted small painless ulcer in a genital area (sort of chancre). The same day in the evening the new symptoms in the penis shaft started: itching, tingling, another ulcer appeared but on the glands this time, also strong pain when urinating (probably due to urine flowing over the sore), painful penis, damaged skin on the penis glands.
  • 27.02.20: went to Sexual Health Clinic for STIs tests and advice. I was first diagnosed with genital herpes but it was just a visual diagnose. I was given Aciclovir 400mg (3xday for 5 days). I had all STI tests done at the same day.

Few days after I received all results from sexual health clinic and they were all negative.

• 28.02.20: I started applying Vaseline on my penis. I have stopped it few days after as I thought it was only making it worse.
  • 02.03.20: spoke to GP about my penis problem. I was prescribed Instillagel for the pain when passing urine. I was also prescribed Flucloxacillin 500mg for 7 days. Diagnosis: Balanitis.
  • 04.03.20: went to sexual health clinic again as my antibiotic was not helping. I was told to stop Flucloxacillin and was prescribed Co- Amoxiclav 500/125mg 3x7days.

I was also doing potassium permanganate soaks 3x daily for about 2 weeks

• 20.03.20: nearly all cleared but a little small ulcer/spot left.

-26.03.20: took some 500mg Naproxen for shoulders inflammation

• 27.03.20: all came back: started with the same symptoms and the same broken skin on penile glans, etc., painful
  • went to Sexual cleaning for some other STI tests: all results came back negative and was told to continue taking Acyclovir but genital herpes results from the swabs were negative again and told to speak urgently to GP as it is a serious condition.
  • 08.04.20: started new treatment. I was prescribed by dermatologist: PREDNISOLONE tablets, 5mg:

6 tablets 08.04.20

6 tablets 09.04.20

5 tablets 10.04.20

4 tablets 11.04.2020

4 tablets 12.04.2020

3 tablets 13.04.2020

3 tablets 14.04.2020

3 tablets 15.04.2020

2 tablets 16.04.2020, 17.04.2020, 18.04.2020

1 tablet 19.04.2020, 20.04.2020, 21.04.2020 - then stop.

1. DERMOVATE ointment 0,5 mg/g (CLOBETASOL), 30g.
  • To be applied on the skin twice a day for 5 days, then once a day for 7 days, then next week: twice a week and then stop.
  1. FEXOFENADINE 180mg
  • FOR 3 DAYS: 2 tablets in the morning, 2 tablets in the evening.
  • FOR 7 DAYS: twice daily
  • FOR 7 DAYS: once a day
  1. SALINE SOLUTION: make a moist warm compress for 20 minutes - twice a day.

2. POTASSIUM PERMANGANATE SOAKS.

• 10 minutes x once a day
  1. CICATRIDINE moisturizer.

2. CETAPHIL PRO ITCH wash.

It has already been over two weeks since I have developed the problem with the penis. I can feel and see that the treatment is not working.

Has anyone of you ever had a similar problem or does anyone know what that could be? Also - from what doctor I should be getting advice and treatment: urologist or dermatologist?

Thanks

Regards

Paulimageimageimage

2 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Edited

Dear Joker,

It sounds from your detailed description that you've identified the cause of the severe drug-induced balanitis, namely Naproxen. Make sure you're not taking any other NSAIDs (non-steroidals) that could be worsening the situation.

I don't think it's appropriate for us to meddle with your management, so I suggest you go back to see the dermatologist who prescribed these meds and explain the current situation to them. I guess you already have a follow-up appointment?

Rgds,

Adhari.

• Posted

Thank you for your quick reply.

I am still using prescribed medication by my dermatologist but in my opinion it doesn't seem to be working properly because it has already nearly been 17 days now since it started for the second time (second outbreak possibly due to taking that Naproxen) and nothing is improving. in the first outbreak it took 21 days to clear up but that time I was taking Co-Amoxiclav and Aciclovir only plus potassium permanganate for soaks.

still in pain and trying to find a good treatment and the reason of this nasty infection...

many thanks

• Posted

Had a similar thing happen to me from Aleve. It took 3 weeks to heal. Also go throat and mouth blisters and a slight rash on my hands. Penis was by far the worst though. My GP out me on an antibiotic for 10 days to avoid infection. Also had a steroid for a week. So glad i'm better now, but it was a truly awful experience. I showered with cooler water and a mild soap. Painful but need to keep myself clean. Mouth healed quicker maybe 12 days, but the penis took almost the full 3 weeks. Did end up in the ER the second night because my throat closed. ER Dr. thought it was VD, but i knew it was Naproxen. It happened before, but not to my penis. I made the mistake of asking a friend for Advil, but he gave me Aleve and i didnt realize it

• Posted

hi guy,

any updates on this? ive developed similar symptoms after ive been on naproxen on and on for a month. also took Doxycycline for 3 days . been to std clinic which came back all negative. what should i do ? feeling very stressed and anxious because my anxiety is telling me i have an std infections.

• Posted

This very thing happened to me, doctors will prescribe you things but the best thing to do is to leave it alone. the first time it happened to me it lasted months because doctors will prescribe anything after a visual inspectation and all of it made it worse. If youre abosolutley sure its from naproxen than you need to leave it alone. its not unusual for it take at least a month to heal, you just got to wear loose clothing. Im going through the same thing again right now, started 3 weeks ago and its barely starting to heal and go away. Last time we couldnt narrow which drug it was, but this time naproxen had to be it. Dont worry itll all go away just remember to clean it every day in the shower with just your fingers and if youre like me with extra sensitive skin then no soap as soap and anything with fragrance will make it worse. Dont use hydrocortisone either to rough for penis skin.

• Posted

had full blown anxiety because of it , it triggered my gad and went for further sti test. now just waiting for results

• Posted

My husband has the same problem with Aleve and Naproxen... it's the NSAIDs for him.

• Posted

I was diagnosed with Gout and so when i can no longer stand the pain I would take Naproxen.

For context, I had the same thing happen to me. When it first happened. I had no idea what was the root cause of it and i was too scared to go to the doctor and so i tried my best to be as clean and gentle with it and it was fine after a month.

Then it happened again after a few months, but it wasnt as bad as the first one. I was still wasnt sure what it was but i had a deduction that it keeps happening when i get gout.

On the third attack, i tried to withstand the pain because i wanted to see if the rash would come back but on the last day, i had taken Naproxen and the same effect was happening to me. My dick started to itch and its really warm.

This is not a medical advice, I am just sharing my experience and my deduction on it.

To alleviate my discomfort, I try not to wear tight clothes and air it out once in a while. I decided not to take Naproxen anymore and go for other alternative

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.