FLA for BPH and Chronic Prostatitis.... Long Post

Posted , 25 users are following.

Hey men, as some of you know, I am scheduled for FLA (focal laser ablation) with Dr. K in Houston TX next Thursday

A little back ground, I am 54 with a 45 gm prostate that has the dreaded median lobe.  I had a failed PAE in Jan 2016, I had a really bad allergic reaction during/following the procedure, and it took months to get over it. Myself and the Pae Doc assumed since it took so long to clear up that it was a reaction to the beads used. HOWEVER yesterday in prep for the FLA procedure, I took ONE Bactrim (which I had  taken tons of several years ago with no problems. ) And within 2 hours my whole upper body was covered in blisters and hives. Went straight to the Doc, and he started me on a IV of prednisone, and then gave me a second round 4 hours later, and a 3rd round this morning. It seems to have helped tremendously, and stopped the spots from blistering and peeling this time.

So needless to say Dr K has switched me to a different oral antibiotic.

Dr K is going to be trying something new with me, in addition to the FLA for the BPH, he is going to try and cure my chronic prostatis at the same time,he says obviously that is causing lots of scar tissue in my prostate,

Step one, I sent a sample of my prostate fluid for a DNA result. To my surprise, even tho I had no current symptoms that I could notice. I had medium bacterial load, with 3 different bacteria present in the prostate fluid.

I sent the results to DR K, and actually called and discussed the results with the CEO to get his recommendations.  I have NEVER seen a doc do something like that So needless to say I really feel like he goes above and beyond. He gave ne a call, and said the antibiotic that he strongly recommended was VERY expensive, and his cost was $1,000 he was very apologetic for having to charge extra, but I was totally fine with it. Most men with chronic prostatits  would pay anything for the possibility of actually curing it.

Here is the current plan:

Cefdinir 300mg orally twice a day for two weeks starting two days before the procedure

Invanz IV the day before the day of and the day after the procedure

Ceftriaxone 1 gram intraprostatic the day of the procedure

He is going to inject that last one directly into the prostate after he finishes with the ablation.

The hope is LOTS of the bacteria will be killed by the ablation itself, and the follow up with all the other meds will completely get rid of any that remains.

And hopefully since he will be removing most if not all of the blockages in my prostate, it will not be as easy for bacteria to set up shop again.

Even tho this is a very expensive approach, and its not clear if insurance will cover any of it, even tho they gave a pre-approval letter. Dr K says not to get my hopes up, but I am sure gonna try to turn it in.

Thanks to John and all of the other men who give such great support.

I will keep everybody up to date.

3 likes, 137 replies

137 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Trying to find a dr that will do the test for me in Michigan 
    • Posted

Hey Greg, I just called them directly, and had them send the kit to my home. It cost $20 for shipping both ways. I done the test myself, and just had my Chiropractor sign as the DR. They sent me and him the results.
    • Posted

Joe what exactly did you send them? Did you just masterbate into their test tube? I assume you have to get a Dr involved?
    • Posted

Good morning Unckle, the kit they send you comes with a sterile specimen cup, and also a sterile Q tip type swab. What I done was use one of those little plastic prostate massagers, to get some prostate fluid out instead of semen, and uses the swab for that because there was not enough for the cup. Then I masturbated into the cup just to make sure they had a large enough sample. But they were able to use the prostate fluid, so I really didnt need to fo that.

The form does ask for a Dr and or clinic name, but like I say I just had my chiro sign it, cause I didnt want to wait for a couple weeks to get into my regular Doc,

I packaged it back up and sent it all myself. I called in 5 days and they emailed me the results. Very simple process for sucha detailed report. Dr K was impressed enough to call them for more details.

• Posted

Thanks for the info joe. No way my.uro is going to sign off on having this test done. My GP has basically punted regarding my prostate issues. He always say talk to your urologist
    • Posted

That really is sad. But it just goes to show how we really do have to basically be our own Docs.
    • Posted

Joe, Do I need a DR. to do this or can I send for the kit myself?  Do you need a Dr. signature?
    • Posted

You can send for the test yourself, and they will send it to your home. But it does ask for a clinic name a Dr signature. I just had my chiropractor sign it. But I think as long as you are paying for it, they would not say no even without a Doc signature.

By the way Dr K  says after he saw the results of my test, and talked to the company he is considering ordering the test for all of his BPH clients.

• Posted

Hi Joe,

I hope Fla procedure worked well. Are you going to test one more time to verify bacteria is absent?

Thanks

• Posted

Hello KT, the procedure seems to have gone very well, even tho I am not quite 6 weeks out. My stream is definitely better. However the last few days I have "noticed" or felt my prostate more than i have the last few weeks. i am hoping I am just paranoid, or it is just the healing process. I have no blood in urine, or in semen any longer.

But to answer your question, I will definitely do the test again, to see what if any bacteria are still present.But I want to wait until it is completely healed up before I go pressing around on it, to get prostatic fluid out lol. It is uncomfortable enough when its no angry.

I will keep you up to date.

Joe

• Posted

Hey Joe.  Glad all is going well for you.  I remember John after he had his done by Dr. K. That he was told the the prostate has to reform after what is taking out.  So that may be what you feel.  I don't know how long it takes but it may be something you can ask Dr. K. when you talk with him. Good health to you  Ken 

• Posted

Hi Joe,

Sounds like a great plan,

How did you find out about this? 

Thanks

• Posted

One of the other great guys on this forum. And I hate I can't recall his name. But he helped me a lot.

• Posted

It seems to have went well. I just made it back home today. Back side is still very sore, but I guess that is normal all things considered.

I really have had very little pain, other than some bladder spasms the evening of the procedure.Donnie came over to the hotel, and checked my cath to make sure it was OK, and told me to start on the meds they had given me for that just in case I needed em.

Dr K showed me the before and after images of the prostate yesterday, and  I definitely have lots more empty space in there than before.

He seemed very pleased with the way it went, and was hopeful that this would really help both problems. But only time will tell, and he says it will take a while for everything to heal up and settle down to know what the final result is.

I was very impressed with the amount of time, and planning he puts into each individual case, he is definitely not the typical cookie cutter type Docs we have all gotten used to. 

If anybody has questions, feel free to ask, and thanks for checking on me.

• Posted

Hi Joe,

Every day will be better, just relax and let your body heal. I'm on week 5 Dr K Club post-op, very pleased! After the cath comes out it is normal to have some blood at beginning of urine stream each time you urinate. Also ejac will be full of blood. Looks weird but there is no pain and it is to be expected.

Pete 

• Posted

Joe, congratulations on your wise choice of treatment

Don't be impatient and give your self time to heal. By week 8 you'll have forgotten there was ever a problem

Welcome to the K Club.

Pete Kline

HONG KONG

• Posted

Thanks Pete. I really appreciate it. I slept 9 hours last night without getting  up even once. Hopefully in a few weeks, I will be able to do that without the cath lol.

Thanks for the support.

• Posted

Thank you Pete, my urine cleared up very quickly, its clear already, in the bag. Other than the pain in my rectum, I seem to be doing good. The prostate itself does not hurt at all.

And yes Dr K warned me about the blood in the semen, and he said to start clearing it out, shortly after the cath comes out. How long did you wait?

Thanks again Joe

• Posted

Thank you Joe for the update.  You have been through so much. I hope this fixes all issues.

• Posted

One day biggrin 

The sensations during orgasm will be weird, but again, don't worry everything will feel normal again after some weeks. I would suggest if some reason it causes pain or discomfort, obviously wait a few days. My thought was it was therapeutic to clear out the blood and tissue, and for you it might help to spread the antibiotic around inside the gland.

• Posted

PS- my bag cleared of blood as well, however blood will come back after cath removed at start of urination and in after-drips, so be mentally prepared (to not worry) confused

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.