flaky skin

Posted , 4 users are following.

Have flaking skin on arms,legs and abdomen, on my sheets and when I remove my clothes. It is NOT itchy and no rash. Have  put oil in bathwater and oil on skin before I go to bed but still going on every day for a few months now. Don't know what's going on???

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Since it's not itching and not a rash, maybe you have dry skin. Try using a good skin cream for dry skin.

• Posted

Flaky skin occurs when the protective natural oil produced by the skin begins to dry up. As a result, water loss in dry skin is 75 times greater than normal skin. As the skin loses both oil (sebum) and water, the skin begins to dry out and its topmost surface dies and begins to peel away, usually in very small, thin slivers called flakes.
    • Posted

Why did it start only a few months ago when I'm not doing anything different?? Am I lacking some nutrients or vitamins? I have been on a gluten-free diet for about a year and the only pill I started taking a few months ago is for osteoporosis  which is called Teva-Risedronate 35 mg. ONCE a week. Could that be the cause? I can't think of anything else.

• Posted

Dont know how old you are elaine but as we get older our skin does tend to get drier,and needs creams etc to stay supple. The only other cause is possibly a reaction to a medication you are taking. If you think this may be the case have a look at the "side effects",which should be stated on any medicine.

• Posted

Thank you but I didn't get a sheet of paper with that medication so I will go back to the pharmacy and get one.

• Posted

That is not a usual side effect of that drug but its always possible. Sometimes ladies who are at the onset of osteoporosis also suffer dry skin. Try taking a capsule of Omega 3 oil once a day...maybe start at 500mg and gradually increase to 1,200mg per day. It can help with dry skin conditions.  Use a skin cream every day.
    • Posted

Thank you for the help. I will try that.The sheet I picked up at the pharmacy doesn't list flaky skin as one of the side effects and the pharmacist told me to call my doctor. Won't get any help there either so I'll take the omega 3 oil and hope it clears up.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.