Flaming Gout

Posted , 3 users are following.

Aged 46 I am on my second gout attack of the year ...thought it was bad enough when it was centred on foot and toe but pain seems to be even worse on knee joint to the point where I can't walk on it at all ...fed up this time as started a week ago ...took Naproxen until could see doctor Weds ...three day course of Colchicine completed and no sign of pain subsiding.Work starting to get annoyed at time I am having to take off

Any advice from fellow goutees who work as well welcome

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Sorry mate. There is not good news...

I have experience in both the foot and knee.

The knee is far worse and leaves you immonile.

A little naughty but go back to docs and tell them you need steroids as Naproxen not working . Prednisone is what you need 30mg a day.

They will work within 6 hours believe me..

As for working be thankful you dont have a manual job as working on anti inflammatorys will cause long term damage... Take the time to rest and recuperate and think about the lifestyle changes required.

Ignore the last statement at your peril as it will bite you on the arse..

Good luck and i hope all goes well with it and your job..

• Posted

And drink as much water as you can take.

Seriously cut down on alcohol.

• Posted

Don't mess around:

Allopurinol

Colchicine

Bring BMI down to under 25

Cut out all fructose esp high fructose corn sirup

Increase exercise

Get heart checked out

Take it seriously - gout is a symptom of hyperuricemia which untreated will kill you long term.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.