Flank pain (left side), stomach cramps and diarrhoea. What could cause?

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi, I'm new to this site. I have had pain on my left flank for around a week. It is always worse first thing in the morning or after lying down. Yesterday morning I started with bad cramps and then diarrhea. It got better after an hour or so but I still felt unwell. This morning the cramps and diarrhea were much worse and I ended up in bed most of the day. I'm a male in my 30's and although I'm not overweight or unhealthy I am a heavy drinker (particularly since Covid lockdowns!) and a smoker. Does this sound like it could be kidney or similar? Is there anything I should do to try and ease it? I don't want to make a GP appointment at this time because of the strain on the health service. Many thanks in advance.

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Edited

'At this point I would say you may have a bug, and see how you are in a few days, Using probiotics can help you get over it faster, don't take anything to stop diarrhea as it is your body working on getting rid of the germs. You can order the probiotics online, not go to a store. I wouldn't be to concerned unless this doesn't go away in a few days. Stay hydrated and see how you do, if it becomes severe don't hesitate to go to ER. Try to cut back on your drinking and smoking. It will catch up with you, for every time you take a drink, drink water as well. Alcohol will def=hydrate you quicker . Try to drink something else instead, if you are an alcoholic, at least try to cut down till you feel better, once this is over try to seek help in stopping. As we age our bodies dont handle alcohol as well as when we were young. Hang in there, u can always get a phone appt with your doc too.

• Edited

Thank you for the reply 😃. The diarrhea and cramps have gone today so maybe just a bug or something I have eaten. However the flank pain is still there and is probably approaching 2 weeks now. What organs, if any, could be there?

• Posted

ive been struggling with the exact same thing the past 2 days. woke up at 2am in need of the toilet. severe stomach cramps and diarrehea followed by vomiting. yesterday i spent all day in bed. today i feel much better but still have a slight cramp feeling on my left side and slightly tender abdomen. i also have a tension headache and just feel fatigue. maybe stress from being in isolation for 3 weeks, maybe an ibs flare up or maybe a bug. hopefully we both start to feel better soon

• Posted

usually after a bug, the side or abdomen can remain sore for a few days, if it is over 3 days then it may be something else. There does seem to be a stomach bug going around as well, but less people have it due to the social distancing. hope u continue to feel better.

• Posted

Chris,

I've been dealing with a similar situation. I've had plenty of testing. They (drs.) haven't found any reason for my left flank pain. This seemed to start with digestive issues. It seems to flair off and on. I've had several endoscopy and colonoscopies done and found nothing. They have said I have herniated discs. However, I seemed to have more episodes when my digestion is off track. From eating junk, alcohol, smoking, and not enough exercise. I do think stress plays a big roll as well. Make sure to stay hydrated ,eat smaller amounts, get your vitamin levels checked. Particularly vitamin D3, K2. C, B12.

start by getting a good probiotic. Could be a bug or a type of IBS-IBD issues. Hope this helps. Take care!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.