Flare?

Posted , 11 users are following.

I am interested to know if a return of symptoms alone constitutes a flare or if it must also include a raised CRP ?

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Yes indeed. Symptoms alone can indicate a flare. CRP can lag behind symptoms and I believe some people have PMR despite no rise in inflammatory markers. I always pay attention to symptoms first. Hope this helps.

• Posted

Symptoms trump all.

Many people never have raised inflammation markers.

And, based on personal experience, even those of us that can have raised CRP, these markers can lag significantly behind the onset of my flare symptoms.

• Posted

I'm new to PMR and GCR, only diagnosed in Nov with GCA so wish i knew an answer, although when they were lowering my steroid dose from 60mg to eventually 35mg i just didn't feel right so had anther blood test which showed a small increase in my inflammation markers so hosp put me back on 40 mg with a review on 2nd Jan. I wish my arms would stop aching when trying to do the slightest thing. Only way to get some relief is to let them just hang down, anyone else experienced this with their arms?

• Posted

I had pain throughout my joints and muscles. Have had PMR for a year now.

I want to share a recent discovery just in case it can help. Try splitting your Prednisone in half doses, half in the morning and half at night. I feel reborn after doing this about a week and a half ago. Before that I was taking pain killers every morning.

Good luck to you

• Posted

I'm on my 2nd flare in 5 years currently tapered to 8mg.

The 1st time or say diagnosis, an early warning sign was nothing other than hamstrings that seemed to need stretching.

However no matter how much I stretched I gained no improvement or relief.

Then the classic shoulders, reaching and moving the arms starting with the right first, followed by the left, (mind you I still don't know I need to see a doctor) then later the hips soon followed by general limited body dexterity AKA stiffness.

It go to the point I got scared I was headed for wheel chair status before seeing the doctor.

So OK, answering you question, I did the prednisone treatment and cleared it up and 5 years later my Hamstrings started acting up again. I knew what was coming and went to the Doctor. She pulled labs and found no markers. I insisted its an early warning and she agreed to do bi-weekly labs and sure enough my right shoulder and hips followed 2 weeks later.

We are all different but my hamstrings are my warning.

Good luck with your fight. As for me, I find eating right makes a difference. If I cheat and eat fried food I move backwards. Read up on anti-inflammatory eating.

I never considered diet until this flare. And was eating anything I wanted and over weight. This time it matters and makes a difference how I feel and progress.

If you eat anything you want and drink alcohol and have PMR you are in trouble.

• Edited

A flare is a return of symptoms. Symptoms ALWAYS trump blood markers as some people don't develop raised markers when still on pred - often the duration of the inflammation isn't enough to create the response. Some people never have a raised CRP - I didn;t.

• Posted

I became vegan just before my diagnoses. I have never been overweight, although i have gained 8lbs since steroids, now feel bloated 😦 I do have.couple G&T at night, but not large ones. Maybe I need to cut out the drink to see if it helps. Hoping my steroids dose comes down although somehow I don't think it will, just feeling.

If the steroids are not working for me then its a nasty drug, begins with M! cant remember the name right now. Which i really do not want. Plus injection 😦((

• Posted

I became vegan just before my diagnoses. I have never been overweight, although i have gained 8lbs since steroids, now feel bloated 😦 I do have.couple G&T at night, but not large ones. Maybe I need to cut out the drink to see if it helps. Hoping my steroids dose comes down although somehow I don't think it will, just feeling.

If the steroids are not working for me then its a nasty drug, begins with M! cant remember the name right now. Which i really do not want. Plus injection 😦((

• Posted

My doctor, bless her, told me right at the beginning that symptoms trump test results.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.