Flare

Posted , 9 users are following.

im in the middle of the worst flare I've ever had. Been overwhelmingly painful for about a week now. On enbrel methotrexate and prednisone. Was taking hydrocodone 5mg but yesterday pain doctor changed to oxycodone 7.5. He said my sedimentation  rate and inflammation  was out  of control. I'm not too good at taking all of pain Meds in a day that I'm supposed to. Guess have fear that next day could be worse. Any suggestions other than take the amount in a day he prescribed. I've been breaking the pain med in half and trying to take smaller dose every 4hrs instead of taking a whole pill then waiting 8 hrs. Told me I could try methadone along w the oxy until everything calmed down. Also my rheumatologist is changing from enbrel to ???. Unfortunately she wants to wait until next appointment in a month. Any recommendations for a biologic ?

1 like, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Oh my ! It's so horrible! For now, my firt question is how much prednisone are you on, because as awful as that is (I just had my second cataract removed aqnd I'm too young), that is the only way I know of to get that RA down fast. I mean like at least 40 mgs for a few days and dosn from there

With the biologics, everyone is so different. Orencia was the one that worked for me, I just got too many bronchitis's over and over. But it was really good. One of my Doc's patients started Rituxin the same time I did, and he felt so good that he missed his next appointment, but after 8 months it did nothing for me.

So , just ask your doc what to try next. If you have the bad dry eyes like I do, maybe Orencia. I didn't even need Restasis, but now I have Sjogrin's, too.

Good Luck, Call Doctor and get those Steroids ! No paid med will help enough.

Good Luck.

• Posted

Could all these medications be making your problems worse? I'm just guessing, it sure is difficult when suffering, the only suggestion I can make is to try Turmeric 95% curcumin with piperine capsules I take these all the time and reckon they work on inflammation and pain pretty good, but the only other medication I take I got from rheumy is sulfasalazine and very occasionally naproxen, as for adding Turmeric to these other meds you're taking I don't know, but it is very safe but maybe not recommended it taking blood thinners.

• Posted

So sorry for your pain!  We have all been there and know how bad it is.  I'm on Remacade and it works for me.  They say that none of these biologics will work for more than so many years and then you have to switch to another one but they have saved my life and sanity.  As much as I hate it, prednisone is what I believe can help you.  Good Luck!

• Posted

Feel for you, ouchhhhhh.

Have you eaten anything different in the last say week that has caused your flare.

I know I have flares if i eat something with wheat in it, and even I get caught out occasionssly, and I know about it 24 hours later.

Rheumo says there is no link, for me there is and we have even had a discussion about it, she has even had me take blood tests after a week of wheat products, didn;t enjoy that, my infammation levels were sky high, even she admitted i have my own little independant arthiritis case going on, at same time checked for coeliac all clear.

• Posted

Have you tried DEMARDS some other great ones that are also new. 

As far as biologics I would ask what your dr recommends. Everyone respond differently. 

Hope pe you find something that works well for you soon.

• Posted

I inject mtx once weekly 25 mg I take Lodine NSAIDS tramodol slow release and paracetamol

Sometimes cocodoomol 30/500

I have been going through a really bad flare up over the last 5 weeks and have been taking oral morphine to help with the excessive pain.

I also take amatriptaline 75 mg table form at night which is a relaxant

I have just undergone in intravenous treatment at the hospital with retuximab which is a biological

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.