Flare a month after hospitalization

Posted , 7 users are following.

Ended up in A&E after 4 hours of cramping, diarrhea, followed by bloody fecal matter and mucus. CT showed no inflammation. The doc said this was part of the disease. I've eaten 100% healthy since my first attack. I made chicken chili on Friday so I'm wondering whether this had anything to do with all this?

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

I ate white chicken chili Friday night. Diva reared its ugly head the next day. Still having issues today (Sunday).

• Posted

Hi Jacob,

I don't know why chicken chili would cause a problem unless you had a tonne of beans in it and were not eating a high fibre diet. Otherwise I would call that a healthy meal for DD. Unless it was the spice but I don't know about that since I don't eat spicy foods.

Julie

• Posted

Anything with spices and chilli in gives me cramps and the runs!

• Posted

The chicken chili had onions, and beans. I've eaten black beans in the last month, zero problems. These beans were red kidney beans so perhaps that was the issue. I've also had red, yellow, and white onions in the last month no issues. I ate the meal Friday evening, Saturday cramps and painful diarrhea, Sunday morning awful cramps diarrhea mixed with bloody mucus. No fever, no lower left quadrant pain. The pain was located right at my belly button--slightly to the left. I was given Tramadol and Bentyl. The CT showed no inflammation. I was actually surprised by this.

• Posted

Have you been in the hospital lately? i had this happen and I had C diff. Was the doctor a gastro. doctor? If not go to one, Ive found many regular doctors(ER) know little about Diverticulitis. They can do a stool sample do check for C Diff. Uou can also get it from taking to many antibiotics. I now take a probiotic daily

• Posted

Probiotics would be my suggestion. The ER docs don't seem to understand DD. I went with a serious flare. The ER docs though I was drug seeking and ran me through the ringer. They asked me what I wanted and that they could only give me 10 Percocet. I explained that I didn't want meds, I wanted to know what was wrong with me. Before I was diagnosed. When they finally did a CT scan with contrast they said my abdomen lit up like a Christmas tree and they determined it was DD. Then I started being seen and eventually surgery. Best move I could make though I really didn't have choice. Fistula between colon and bladder. See a Gastro doc for sure. They really understand DD and can help you tremendously.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.