Flare caused by tapering too quickly or first Pfeizer vaccine?

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hello again - I havent been on this forum for quite a while so I may have missed this topic being discussed many times over, in which case apologies! Im 68 and just into my third year of PMR . Have been slowly tapering to the point of managing really well (with some residual neck stiffness) on 2.5mgs alternating with 2mgs of pred (occasionally missing a day due to forgetfulness!) Since my first dose of the Pfeizer vaccine on 10 Feb I have noticed a gradual flare creeping up on me and a telephone review from my GP has put me back up to 10mgs to be tapered to 7.5, then 5 for a few weeks. I wonder if others have had similar experience following vaccination for Covid-19? I had absolutely no adverse reactions following the jab.

Sally

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

You might get more response on PMRGCA HealthUnlocked's forum as there are more people on that site. Upping pred to 5 mgs and staying for a few days, then gradually reducing to where you feel most comfortable is standard for a mild flare. I had only a sore arm with the two Moderna shots. no flare. I am on 3 1/2 mgs and been on pred for five years.

• Posted

Thanks for your reply Peggy - think I must have tapered too quickly in readiness for 'taking up' the vaccine, hoping my immune system would get to work on making those antibodies! As a result Im nearly back to square one so it wasnt the best idea ....

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.