Flare or normal aches and pains?

Posted , 2 users are following.

after 18 months with PMR, I'm down to 1mg of prednisone. How do I know if I'm having a flare or normal aches and pains? My wrists and knees hurt but absolutely tolerable. If I were going to have a flare, how long after lowering the dose does a flare occur? I've had aches and pains all along but I attributed it to overdoing my activities!

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

I hope by now you've got a reply somewhere.  Usually you would feel some pred withdrawal discomfort almost right away, but that should ease after a few days.  If the discomfort got worse, then it's more likely to be a flare of the PMR and you'd need to increase your dose to where you last felt comfortable.  I note you attribute your pain to overactivity.  It's really important to be kind to yourself so that the inflamed tissues can settle down and heal.  We all have a tendency to do too much when we feel better.  You are at a very low dose for only 18 months!  My doctor told me at the very beginning that many of her patients just keep a supply of 1 mg tablets even after they're off pred, to deal with any possible flares.  So I wouldn't be surprised if you actually need a bit more for a while longer.  

• Posted

Thanks for answering me back! You're the only one! I am feeling good and am now taking 1/2 mg. The aches and pains I have, my dr attributed to steroidal myopathy. My muscles have gotten VERY weak. She suggested a personal trainer, but I would rather have physical therapy first. I will be starting PT after I get back from my trip to Morocco! I am bringing a supply of prednisone just in case!

• Posted

Yes the muscles do seem to suffer from prednisone.  If you get physiotherapy be careful to avoid a lot of repetitive exercises.  If PMR is still active they can actually make things worse.  Helping with range of motion and gentle exercise at least to start will be best.  I had physio before I knew I had PMR and it was not a pretty result.  But my current therapist is a treasure!  Good idea to have a discussion with any therapist before starting to make sure they really understand what your body has been through and what will work to help you.  It's not the same as treating after an "ordinary" injury.  You could also consider tai chi and Nordic walking, they both work gently to improve muscle strength.  I've been on pred since June '15, currently at 3 mg.  I'm not as strong as I was before pred, even with undiagnosed PMR, but I don't think I'm getting any worse now, maybe slightly improved.

Have a super trip.  Good idea to have the pred with you!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.