Flare pains

Posted , 4 users are following.

I've found that after taking either shots or medro packs for a flare, that after I have finished taking them my shoulders still hurt for weeks. Is this normal? I just finished with one flare about 2 wks ago and it never stops hurting. It wasn't a 10 but around 4-5 in mornings and late evenings. Now I am starting another flare and am taking plaqineil and cellbrex plus predisone. I am thinking of suggesting to my doctor to take 3 plaqineil a day and see what happens. Also, my doctor said he never heard of RA that had a burning feeling. I have it in my arms most of the time and I think it maybe active RA, I don't know. Could it be a side effect of plaqineil?

1 like, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi, when i take steroid packs for a flare, this stirs up awful arthritic type pain for me also, in my knee, and sometimes neck that lasts for weeks. I believe the prednisone is known to lower our immune system further, which causes these areas to react from many days of prednisone. My RA doctor has me cut back on the strenth of the prednisone pack, and continally decreases it starting from high (15 to 20 mg) to low (5 mg which i take daily). The plaquenil has very few side effects- typically just meed to have vision checked every 6 to 12 months for possible degeneration. The burning you are referring to, sounds like nueropathy type pain, which is nerve type damage. Have you ever been checked for this?
  • Posted

Hi, I get awful arthritis type jabbing, sharp dehabilitating type pain in my knee and many times my neck when I take prednisone over a period of wks for a flare. The RA doctor usually cuts back on the strength of the prednisone pack from high (15 to 20 mg) and tapers it down to low (5 to 0) for no more than 10 days total. . For me its 5mg because I take this amt daily to keep my flares down drastically. The burning you describe sounds like untreated neuropathy type pain to me, which is caused by nerve damage. Have you ever been checked for this? These are only my thoughts.
  • Posted

Hi, I get awful arthritis type jabbing, sharp dehabilitating type pain in my knee and many times my neck when I take prednisone over a period of wks for a flare. The RA doctor usually cuts back on the strength of the prednisone pack from high (15 to 20 mg) and tapers it down to low (5 to 0) for no more than 10 days total. . For me its 5mg because I take this amt daily to keep my flares down drastically. The burning you describe sounds like untreated neuropathy type pain to me, which is caused by nerve damage. Have you ever been checked for this? These are only my thoughts.
  • Posted

So sorry about the repeat response. I was timed out, and the system did not show that my first response was accepted into the system.
    • Posted

C2Anna, I have called my doctor and he is setting up an EMP test. I believe that is the problem. I have posted another post about it to see if anyone else has this and what can be done for it. Thanks smile
  • Posted

I also have burning feeling in my hands as if I have chopped off some hot chilly peppers sad I will investigate the idea of nueropathy.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.